Oct 21, 2010, 1:17 PM EDT
D.J. Augustin has stepped up this preseason and looked good at the point for the Charlotte Bobcats, shooting 56.4 percent, 63 percent from three and with a better than 2:1 turnover ratio (don’t you worry, Larry Brown has certainly found things to ride him for).
But after that…. Oh, we’ve got trouble.
Shaun Livingston and rookie Sherron Collins are injured. Stephen Jackson will play it some, but he’s maybe the purist definition ever of a shoot-first point guard. So how about….
Boris Diaw? Yes, Boris Diaw.
He played about 20 minutes at the point, or point forward if you will, for the Bobcats Wednesday night, according to the Charlotte Observer. He finished the game with 15 points on 4 of 7 shooting, seven assists and just two turnovers.
“I tried to organize the chaos,’’ Diaw said.
Diaw can do some of that Lamar Odom, little bit of everything role for the Bobcats. He has the handles to set up plays, to be the ball handler on the pick-and-roll, or to post up and back down a smaller guard. Jackson kept calling him Magic Johnson after the game, which may be a little bit of a stretch but you get the idea.
Maybe Brown went to the Synergy “tapes” and saw that Diaw shot 100 percent from the field as the ball handler on the pick-and-roll last season. Okay, he played that role just four times all season, but he hit the shot three times (and turned it over once). Brown would love anything near that kind of efficiency, thank you very much.
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 8
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 19
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 14
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 70
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 66
- Las Vegas Summer League review: How did Andrew Wiggins, other lottery picks fare? 14