Oct 21, 2010, 1:17 PM EDT
D.J. Augustin has stepped up this preseason and looked good at the point for the Charlotte Bobcats, shooting 56.4 percent, 63 percent from three and with a better than 2:1 turnover ratio (don’t you worry, Larry Brown has certainly found things to ride him for).
But after that…. Oh, we’ve got trouble.
Shaun Livingston and rookie Sherron Collins are injured. Stephen Jackson will play it some, but he’s maybe the purist definition ever of a shoot-first point guard. So how about….
Boris Diaw? Yes, Boris Diaw.
He played about 20 minutes at the point, or point forward if you will, for the Bobcats Wednesday night, according to the Charlotte Observer. He finished the game with 15 points on 4 of 7 shooting, seven assists and just two turnovers.
“I tried to organize the chaos,’’ Diaw said.
Diaw can do some of that Lamar Odom, little bit of everything role for the Bobcats. He has the handles to set up plays, to be the ball handler on the pick-and-roll, or to post up and back down a smaller guard. Jackson kept calling him Magic Johnson after the game, which may be a little bit of a stretch but you get the idea.
Maybe Brown went to the Synergy “tapes” and saw that Diaw shot 100 percent from the field as the ball handler on the pick-and-roll last season. Okay, he played that role just four times all season, but he hit the shot three times (and turned it over once). Brown would love anything near that kind of efficiency, thank you very much.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 7
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 24
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9