Oct 21, 2010, 1:17 PM EDT
D.J. Augustin has stepped up this preseason and looked good at the point for the Charlotte Bobcats, shooting 56.4 percent, 63 percent from three and with a better than 2:1 turnover ratio (don’t you worry, Larry Brown has certainly found things to ride him for).
But after that…. Oh, we’ve got trouble.
Shaun Livingston and rookie Sherron Collins are injured. Stephen Jackson will play it some, but he’s maybe the purist definition ever of a shoot-first point guard. So how about….
Boris Diaw? Yes, Boris Diaw.
He played about 20 minutes at the point, or point forward if you will, for the Bobcats Wednesday night, according to the Charlotte Observer. He finished the game with 15 points on 4 of 7 shooting, seven assists and just two turnovers.
“I tried to organize the chaos,’’ Diaw said.
Diaw can do some of that Lamar Odom, little bit of everything role for the Bobcats. He has the handles to set up plays, to be the ball handler on the pick-and-roll, or to post up and back down a smaller guard. Jackson kept calling him Magic Johnson after the game, which may be a little bit of a stretch but you get the idea.
Maybe Brown went to the Synergy “tapes” and saw that Diaw shot 100 percent from the field as the ball handler on the pick-and-roll last season. Okay, he played that role just four times all season, but he hit the shot three times (and turned it over once). Brown would love anything near that kind of efficiency, thank you very much.
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 5
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 12
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 18