Oct 21, 2010, 11:58 PM EDT
The Miami Heat are the favorites to with the NBA crown this season.
Not according to most pundits, they have them close but not quite (although some have picked them). But yes according to the bookmakers at Bodog.com. Here are their odds to win the NBA title:
Miami Heat 17/10
Los Angeles Lakers 5/2
Boston Celtics 17/2
Orlando Magic 13/1
Oklahoma City Thunder 14/1
Chicago Bulls 18/1
Dallas Mavericks 20/1
San Antonio Spurs 28/1
Denver Nuggets 30/1
Portland Trailblazers 30/1
Last at 200-1? The Cleveland Cavaliers, Toronto Raptors and Minnesota Timberwolves. Way to go Minnesota, getting those kind of odds without having a superstar leave you cold.
Best odds on the board? Orlando. That is a team that can win a title. A team that went to the finals two seasons ago, is coming in healthy and more focused this season, and is right there on the elite contender level. At 13-1 that’s a pretty good bet.
Already I can hear the Lakers fans complaining — why aren’t the Lakers the favorites? Why is there no respect for the Lakers?
Blame yourselves. You know why the bookmakers set those odds? To make money for themselves. The team with the lowest odds has that because that’s where the fans are putting their money. Right now that’s the Heat. Bookmakers are not making predictions, they are making odds to protect their money against your bets. It’s a business. And you are all betting on the Heat.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 0
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 8
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4