Oct 21, 2010, 11:58 PM EDT
The Miami Heat are the favorites to with the NBA crown this season.
Not according to most pundits, they have them close but not quite (although some have picked them). But yes according to the bookmakers at Bodog.com. Here are their odds to win the NBA title:
Miami Heat 17/10
Los Angeles Lakers 5/2
Boston Celtics 17/2
Orlando Magic 13/1
Oklahoma City Thunder 14/1
Chicago Bulls 18/1
Dallas Mavericks 20/1
San Antonio Spurs 28/1
Denver Nuggets 30/1
Portland Trailblazers 30/1
Last at 200-1? The Cleveland Cavaliers, Toronto Raptors and Minnesota Timberwolves. Way to go Minnesota, getting those kind of odds without having a superstar leave you cold.
Best odds on the board? Orlando. That is a team that can win a title. A team that went to the finals two seasons ago, is coming in healthy and more focused this season, and is right there on the elite contender level. At 13-1 that’s a pretty good bet.
Already I can hear the Lakers fans complaining — why aren’t the Lakers the favorites? Why is there no respect for the Lakers?
Blame yourselves. You know why the bookmakers set those odds? To make money for themselves. The team with the lowest odds has that because that’s where the fans are putting their money. Right now that’s the Heat. Bookmakers are not making predictions, they are making odds to protect their money against your bets. It’s a business. And you are all betting on the Heat.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 4
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 25
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 22
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 28
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10