Oct 20, 2010, 1:38 PM EDT
If one were cynical, one might think that free agent center Erick Dampier has taken his sweet time making a decision on where he will play this season just to avoid training camp.
We are that cynical.
But training camp is almost over, so it’s time and Dampier is about to choose a team. Probably next week, so he can start getting into game shape for the third week of the season, according to tweets from Sam Amick of FanHouse. (Well, the cynical part is not Amick, he’s just reporting his conversation with Dampier, we have enough cynicism on this for both of us, with plenty left over.) Here is what Amick said on twitter:
I spoke with free agent center Erick Dampier yesterday, and it sounds like he’ll finally make his mind up next week.
Not much clarity there, though, as he said there are “8 to 10 teams” he’s considering. He’s staying in shape but anticipates needing… two to three weeks to get up and running at full conditioning speed again.
Teams rumored to be in the running to watch Dampier start running are Portland, Phoenix, Chicago and Toronto, Houston plus maybe Dallas. All of those teams could use some depth at center, all can offer roughly the same money (around $2 million). Dampier is a free agent because the Bobcats waived Dampier to save the $13 million he was owed for this season.
Here at PBT, we just want him to sign so we can stop writing about him as he disappears into somebody’s bench.
- The Extra Pass: Talking “Summer Dreams” with producer of Summer League documentary 0
- Thursday NBA grades: Don’t make Mike Dunleavy angry 0
- Rockets don’t bring the energy, so Bulls bring the pain in securing a 24-point blowout victory 7
- Interesting stat: Teams score better in crunch time when they don’t call timeout 12
- Blake Griffin with as powerful a putback dunk as you’ll see (VIDEO) 12