Oct 20, 2010, 1:38 PM EDT
If one were cynical, one might think that free agent center Erick Dampier has taken his sweet time making a decision on where he will play this season just to avoid training camp.
We are that cynical.
But training camp is almost over, so it’s time and Dampier is about to choose a team. Probably next week, so he can start getting into game shape for the third week of the season, according to tweets from Sam Amick of FanHouse. (Well, the cynical part is not Amick, he’s just reporting his conversation with Dampier, we have enough cynicism on this for both of us, with plenty left over.) Here is what Amick said on twitter:
I spoke with free agent center Erick Dampier yesterday, and it sounds like he’ll finally make his mind up next week.
Not much clarity there, though, as he said there are “8 to 10 teams” he’s considering. He’s staying in shape but anticipates needing… two to three weeks to get up and running at full conditioning speed again.
Teams rumored to be in the running to watch Dampier start running are Portland, Phoenix, Chicago and Toronto, Houston plus maybe Dallas. All of those teams could use some depth at center, all can offer roughly the same money (around $2 million). Dampier is a free agent because the Bobcats waived Dampier to save the $13 million he was owed for this season.
Here at PBT, we just want him to sign so we can stop writing about him as he disappears into somebody’s bench.
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets 0
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 8
- LeBron takes offense to something that Pacers’ head coach Vogel didn’t actually say 34
- Thunder GM says team won’t amnesty Kendrick Perkins 24
- Western Conference Finals preview: Grizzlies vs. Spurs 8
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (81)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (66)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay