Oct 20, 2010, 4:19 PM EDT
The great thing about social media like Twitter is it opens us up to all the people of the world.
The bad thing about Twitter is that some people we’re exposed to are just scum.
Nobody knows that like professional athletes. There are plenty of “haters” of LeBron James out there, but Tuesday he decided to have what he called “hater day” on his Twitter account where he retweeted and exposed just some of the vile crap he gets sent daily.
There were suggestions he kill himself, other people using all sorts of derogatory terms. One tweet sent to LeBron called him “a big nosed big lipped bug eyed $&($%@ (it was a racial slur). Ur greedy, u try to hide ur ghettoness.” It went on and on like that.
LeBron wanted people to see just what he gets sent his way, he told Brian Windhorst of ESPN.
“I just want you guys to see it also,” James said after the Heat’s practice Wednesday afternoon. “To see what type of words that are said toward me and towards us as professional athletes. Everybody thinks it is a bed of roses and it’s not.”
Like how cockroaches scatter when you turn on the lights, people like this shut up fast when a light is shined on them. As Tom Ziller put it on Twitter, sunshine is the best disinfectant.
Some say that putting these tweets out there just encourages them. But I think society needs the occasional reminder that in the end this is a game, entertainment. And while we should be emotionally invested, there are limits.
But really, the tweets say less about the game or LeBron than the screw-ups that sent them. Just a reminder that some people are just scum and need to be exposed to the sunshine.
- Kobe was never going to retire this summer, says so on twitter 2
- Spurs show they have too much offense for Grizzlies to handle in Game 1 destruction 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets 76
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 19
- LeBron takes offense to something that Pacers’ head coach Vogel didn’t actually say 45
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (78)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay