Oct 20, 2010, 4:19 PM EST
The great thing about social media like Twitter is it opens us up to all the people of the world.
The bad thing about Twitter is that some people we’re exposed to are just scum.
Nobody knows that like professional athletes. There are plenty of “haters” of LeBron James out there, but Tuesday he decided to have what he called “hater day” on his Twitter account where he retweeted and exposed just some of the vile crap he gets sent daily.
There were suggestions he kill himself, other people using all sorts of derogatory terms. One tweet sent to LeBron called him “a big nosed big lipped bug eyed $&($%@ (it was a racial slur). Ur greedy, u try to hide ur ghettoness.” It went on and on like that.
LeBron wanted people to see just what he gets sent his way, he told Brian Windhorst of ESPN.
“I just want you guys to see it also,” James said after the Heat’s practice Wednesday afternoon. “To see what type of words that are said toward me and towards us as professional athletes. Everybody thinks it is a bed of roses and it’s not.”
Like how cockroaches scatter when you turn on the lights, people like this shut up fast when a light is shined on them. As Tom Ziller put it on Twitter, sunshine is the best disinfectant.
Some say that putting these tweets out there just encourages them. But I think society needs the occasional reminder that in the end this is a game, entertainment. And while we should be emotionally invested, there are limits.
But really, the tweets say less about the game or LeBron than the screw-ups that sent them. Just a reminder that some people are just scum and need to be exposed to the sunshine.
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 0
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 5
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 13
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8