Oct 20, 2010, 9:53 AM EDT
Just some more proof that the Oklahoma City locker room vibe is different than other teams in the NBA…
Sports Illustrated NBA preview magazine hit the streets Wednesday featuring Kevin Durant on the cover. Which makes sense — he’s a budding superstar and all — and is a welcome break from the expected Miami Heat cover.
But when SI approached Durant, he said he wouldn’t do it unless Thabo Sefolosha and Nenad Krstic were on it with him. Seriously. He wanted to make sure some lesser-known teammates got publicity too, he told FanHouse.
“Yeah, basically I had to say it like that,” Durant said before the Thunder’s preseason game Tuesday at Denver…
“People don’t really know about them too much for some odd reason,” said Durant, who didn’t play against the Nuggets due to Thunder coach Scott Brooks giving him his first game off this preseason. “So it was good to have them in there with me … People don’t really talk about them too much, but they’re playing a role. They’re guys we have to have on this team. So I want everybody to know how much they’re important to us and what great teammates they are. So it was the chance to voice my opinion, and I’m glad Sports Illustrated put them on the cover with me.”
That kind of talk is given lip service in every NBA locker room, but in the Thunder locker room it is actually a code. This team is professional and tight together, in a way rarely seen with younger teams (which tend to be cluttered by large posses).
Oklahoma City is just different. And that may be why they rise up where other young up-and-coming teams tend to fall by the wayside.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49