Oct 19, 2010, 11:41 AM EDT
If you have the money to make a jewel encrusted pendant of your basketball jersey… well, maybe Biggie Smalls was right about money.
LeBron James’ business manager Maverick Carter is now being sued by VaNeisha Robinson, who is charging false imprisonment, according to TMZ.com (via FanHouse). The fact that this is on TMZ next to Mel Gibson stories tells you all you really need to know.
The tale goes like this: Robinson says she bought the pendant — a jewel encrusted LeBron Jersey that says “King” on it — for $5 at a garage sale. She said she thought it was costume jewelry, turns out it was real and worth $10,000 (cue Biggie). Nobody is totally buying her story, not Carter who said the pendant was stolen and not police, who investigated her for receiving stolen property. However, no charges were filed.
Robinson’s lawsuit claims that Carter told her he set up a meeting with her and James to buy the pendant back, but when she arrived it was a nine-person ambush and they held her in the house against her will until she gave up the pendant.
Now she wants $50,000 for both the “robbery” of the pendant and the mental anguish. Carter has filed court documents denying all allegations.
When do actual basketball games start? Next week? Doesn’t seem soon enough right now.
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 1
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 6
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 38
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PHT: Blackhawks rattle Rask in Game 4
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT Extra: Will the Spurs recover for Game 7?
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- HBT: Hamilton dropped to 7th in Angels lineup
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record