Oct 19, 2010, 12:57 PM EDT
In these troubled times, it’s a comfort to have a white knight, a hero of value and high moral fiber that represents everything we hold dear and everything we aspire to be. The closest thing the NBA has ever had to such a resilient role model wasn’t in the NBA at all last season, and now, due to reasons that can only be described as poppycock and tomfoolery, he’ll be plying his trade in China next season rather than in the good ol’ U.S. of A.
According to the Hoops Market, former NBAer Ricky Davis, who last season averaged 14.5 points and 4.0 rebounds per game for Turk Telekom of the Turkish Basketball League, will join Jiangsu Nangang for the coming season. It’s an outright travesty, is what it is. NBA players just don’t come any better than Davis, at least in terms of character, leadership, and commitment to perimeter defense. There’s just an old school fiber to his game, and these spoiled athletes today aren’t cut from the same cloth.
Godspeed, Ricky Davis. I don’t think we’ll ever see you in NBA circles again (this is your cue to shake your head in disgust at the injustice of it all), but you gave us your very best, and I only wish that our league and our nation could do the same in your honor.
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 6
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winers start with Lakers 22
- Stephen Curry, LeBron James unanimous choices, lead All-NBA First Team 24
- Rockets vs. Warriors Game 2: Five things to watch 8
- Hawks face uphill climb after DeMarre Carroll injury 10