Oct 19, 2010, 12:57 PM EDT
In these troubled times, it’s a comfort to have a white knight, a hero of value and high moral fiber that represents everything we hold dear and everything we aspire to be. The closest thing the NBA has ever had to such a resilient role model wasn’t in the NBA at all last season, and now, due to reasons that can only be described as poppycock and tomfoolery, he’ll be plying his trade in China next season rather than in the good ol’ U.S. of A.
According to the Hoops Market, former NBAer Ricky Davis, who last season averaged 14.5 points and 4.0 rebounds per game for Turk Telekom of the Turkish Basketball League, will join Jiangsu Nangang for the coming season. It’s an outright travesty, is what it is. NBA players just don’t come any better than Davis, at least in terms of character, leadership, and commitment to perimeter defense. There’s just an old school fiber to his game, and these spoiled athletes today aren’t cut from the same cloth.
Godspeed, Ricky Davis. I don’t think we’ll ever see you in NBA circles again (this is your cue to shake your head in disgust at the injustice of it all), but you gave us your very best, and I only wish that our league and our nation could do the same in your honor.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 7
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 21
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 54
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65