Oct 19, 2010, 12:57 PM EST
In these troubled times, it’s a comfort to have a white knight, a hero of value and high moral fiber that represents everything we hold dear and everything we aspire to be. The closest thing the NBA has ever had to such a resilient role model wasn’t in the NBA at all last season, and now, due to reasons that can only be described as poppycock and tomfoolery, he’ll be plying his trade in China next season rather than in the good ol’ U.S. of A.
According to the Hoops Market, former NBAer Ricky Davis, who last season averaged 14.5 points and 4.0 rebounds per game for Turk Telekom of the Turkish Basketball League, will join Jiangsu Nangang for the coming season. It’s an outright travesty, is what it is. NBA players just don’t come any better than Davis, at least in terms of character, leadership, and commitment to perimeter defense. There’s just an old school fiber to his game, and these spoiled athletes today aren’t cut from the same cloth.
Godspeed, Ricky Davis. I don’t think we’ll ever see you in NBA circles again (this is your cue to shake your head in disgust at the injustice of it all), but you gave us your very best, and I only wish that our league and our nation could do the same in your honor.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 0
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 6
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 30
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20