Oct 19, 2010, 12:57 PM EDT
In these troubled times, it’s a comfort to have a white knight, a hero of value and high moral fiber that represents everything we hold dear and everything we aspire to be. The closest thing the NBA has ever had to such a resilient role model wasn’t in the NBA at all last season, and now, due to reasons that can only be described as poppycock and tomfoolery, he’ll be plying his trade in China next season rather than in the good ol’ U.S. of A.
According to the Hoops Market, former NBAer Ricky Davis, who last season averaged 14.5 points and 4.0 rebounds per game for Turk Telekom of the Turkish Basketball League, will join Jiangsu Nangang for the coming season. It’s an outright travesty, is what it is. NBA players just don’t come any better than Davis, at least in terms of character, leadership, and commitment to perimeter defense. There’s just an old school fiber to his game, and these spoiled athletes today aren’t cut from the same cloth.
Godspeed, Ricky Davis. I don’t think we’ll ever see you in NBA circles again (this is your cue to shake your head in disgust at the injustice of it all), but you gave us your very best, and I only wish that our league and our nation could do the same in your honor.
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 0
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clipper’s Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 6
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 14
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35