Oct 19, 2010, 8:17 AM EDT
If you’re a Nets fan who has watched the erratic Derrick Favors this preseason, you realize you need a healthy Troy Murphy. Favors needs to be brought a long slowly, throwing him to the wolves this season does not move the Nets toward the playoffs.
So on that front, good news from the Nets today. I guess. The statement is a little vague, but here it is via the Star Ledger:
New Jersey Nets forward Troy Murphy has made considerable progress following treatment for a low back strain/inflammation, but will not play in either of the Nets two preseason games this week against New York and Boston. Murphy is expected to resume practice with the team this weekend.
For those of you whose glass is half full, they are saying this is not a “disc problem” but just a strain, which would be good. Also, him coming back to practice means he could be ready to go in the opener Oct. 27.
For those of us quickly finishing off whatever is in the glass, there are still questions. Like, define “practice with the team.” Full on contact practices or just some of the conditioning drills and light shooting? Notice there is no time line in the statement, which is not exactly reassuring. He is getting a cortisone shot then will be re-evaluated. And missing more games, even preseason ones, not ideal.
But Troy Murphy is doing better. Whatever that means.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 9
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 39
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31