Oct 19, 2010, 12:07 PM EST
Plenty of talk about concussions in sports these days, particularly in Philadelphia. Although not really so much in the NBA. And not with coaches.
But we have our first in that department now — Philadelphia’s Doug Collins will not coach tonight’s Sixers preseason game as he stays home to rest concussion symptoms, a recurrence of an injury suffered back on Memorial Day (back in May). John Schuhmann of NBA.com had this up on twitter, it was quickly confirmed by many others.
Michael Curry will coach the team against the Cleveland Cavaliers. The Sixers have a Wednesday night game against the Knicks, it is unclear if Collins will coach in that game.
We could make the “DeSean Jackson got hit so hard Doug Collins got a concussion” joke here, but we’re above that. (Okay, we’re not, obviously.) But concussions are serious, and the fact that Collins is having symptoms nearly six months after the fact testifies to that.
- Wednesday night NBA grades: Vintage Dwyane Wade sighting 0
- Heat come from 15 down to even season series with Pacers 21
- Report: At the moment, Lakers no longer considering trading Pau gasol 11
- PBT Extra: Damian Lillard or Kyrie Irving? Plus coaching hot seat talk. 6
- Report: Celtics may be frontrunners for Asik; would move Bass, Lee, pick 6
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (105)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (49)
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns (48)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (48)