Oct 19, 2010, 8:23 PM EST
Dallas is a looking for a guy to maybe be an insurance policy on a team built to win now.
Rashad McCants maybe can help there, he is a guy who can put up points. Not terribly efficiently, and he zones out on defense, plus he’s had run ins with coaches. But he can score.
The former North Carolina star played four years in the Association but was not in the league last year, plus he missed out on an invite to the Cavaliers Summer League team due to an illness with his mother. There were plenty around the NBA that saw that as just more of the same with McCants, whether or not that is fair in this case. Still he got workouts with a number of teams, including the Celtics, but no camp invites up until now.
He may not stick, guys brought into camp this late rarely do. Plus Dallas is already deep on the wing — Roddy Beaubois is the man once he gets healthy, but there also is Caron Butler, Dominique Jones, Jason Terry and DeShawn Stevenson. The last couple spots on the roster are expected to go to Brian Cardinal and Steve Novak.
But McCants is getting another chance, getting his foot back in a door to the NBA that had been closed. Maybe he can earn a spot on the Texas Legends, the Mavericks D-League team. At least he’s something, a chance.
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 12
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 14
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 24
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 35
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 18