Oct 19, 2010, 8:23 PM EDT
Dallas is a looking for a guy to maybe be an insurance policy on a team built to win now.
Rashad McCants maybe can help there, he is a guy who can put up points. Not terribly efficiently, and he zones out on defense, plus he’s had run ins with coaches. But he can score.
The former North Carolina star played four years in the Association but was not in the league last year, plus he missed out on an invite to the Cavaliers Summer League team due to an illness with his mother. There were plenty around the NBA that saw that as just more of the same with McCants, whether or not that is fair in this case. Still he got workouts with a number of teams, including the Celtics, but no camp invites up until now.
He may not stick, guys brought into camp this late rarely do. Plus Dallas is already deep on the wing — Roddy Beaubois is the man once he gets healthy, but there also is Caron Butler, Dominique Jones, Jason Terry and DeShawn Stevenson. The last couple spots on the roster are expected to go to Brian Cardinal and Steve Novak.
But McCants is getting another chance, getting his foot back in a door to the NBA that had been closed. Maybe he can earn a spot on the Texas Legends, the Mavericks D-League team. At least he’s something, a chance.
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 20
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10