Oct 19, 2010, 8:23 PM EST
Dallas is a looking for a guy to maybe be an insurance policy on a team built to win now.
Rashad McCants maybe can help there, he is a guy who can put up points. Not terribly efficiently, and he zones out on defense, plus he’s had run ins with coaches. But he can score.
The former North Carolina star played four years in the Association but was not in the league last year, plus he missed out on an invite to the Cavaliers Summer League team due to an illness with his mother. There were plenty around the NBA that saw that as just more of the same with McCants, whether or not that is fair in this case. Still he got workouts with a number of teams, including the Celtics, but no camp invites up until now.
He may not stick, guys brought into camp this late rarely do. Plus Dallas is already deep on the wing — Roddy Beaubois is the man once he gets healthy, but there also is Caron Butler, Dominique Jones, Jason Terry and DeShawn Stevenson. The last couple spots on the roster are expected to go to Brian Cardinal and Steve Novak.
But McCants is getting another chance, getting his foot back in a door to the NBA that had been closed. Maybe he can earn a spot on the Texas Legends, the Mavericks D-League team. At least he’s something, a chance.
- Trade rumor update: Nets may be Kyle Lowry frontrunners 0
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 13: Talking Asik, Gasol trades plus NBA Draft with Rob Dauster 0
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. 26
- Report: Grizzlies shopping Zach Randolph around, want deal with Pelicans 6
- Nets notes: Kidd takes some credit, Lopez downplays injury, and Pierce off the bench 2
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (64)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (53)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns (40)