Oct 19, 2010, 8:23 PM EDT
Dallas is a looking for a guy to maybe be an insurance policy on a team built to win now.
Rashad McCants maybe can help there, he is a guy who can put up points. Not terribly efficiently, and he zones out on defense, plus he’s had run ins with coaches. But he can score.
The former North Carolina star played four years in the Association but was not in the league last year, plus he missed out on an invite to the Cavaliers Summer League team due to an illness with his mother. There were plenty around the NBA that saw that as just more of the same with McCants, whether or not that is fair in this case. Still he got workouts with a number of teams, including the Celtics, but no camp invites up until now.
He may not stick, guys brought into camp this late rarely do. Plus Dallas is already deep on the wing — Roddy Beaubois is the man once he gets healthy, but there also is Caron Butler, Dominique Jones, Jason Terry and DeShawn Stevenson. The last couple spots on the roster are expected to go to Brian Cardinal and Steve Novak.
But McCants is getting another chance, getting his foot back in a door to the NBA that had been closed. Maybe he can earn a spot on the Texas Legends, the Mavericks D-League team. At least he’s something, a chance.
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 22
- Paul Pierce’s move to power forward adds twist to his career, Brooklyn Nets’ season 3
- O.J. Mayo suspended one game for punching Pelicans’ Greg Stiemsma in the throat (VIDEO) 4
- Pacers players hold locker room meeting after getting crushed by Rockets 24
- PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman 9