Oct 19, 2010, 5:29 PM EDT
I get Wizards owner Ted Leonsis is about second chances. Second chances for a struggling franchise, second chances for Gilbert Arenas. We need that in sports and just in life — people screw up but that is different than being a screw up.
Josh Howard is getting a second chance. A chance to play after an injury that kept him out most of last season (and has him missing the start of this one). So Leonsis put up on his blog (via Ball Don’t Lie) a little post pimping Howard’s slick new Website:
He should be back in a Wizards uniform soon. He is a respected leader and has promised to make a comeback from injury. We all can’t wait but we won’t rush him in any way.
Well done Josh. Well done.
*scratching record noise*
Wait, did he say “respected leader.” Really?
For the guy who admitted during a playoff series that he smoked marijuana in the offseason, turning the issue (whatever you think of his smoking habits) into a huge playoff distraction. An issue that brings up the stereotype of NBA players who, um, get the munchies a lot in the offseason.
The respected leader who said he didn’t respect the American national anthem. The guy who threw a big birthday party for himself during the playoffs on the night of a loss. The guy who… well, it goes on and on. No reason to catalogue everything off the court. Or on it, where his game has slipped in the last couple years (when he has been healthy).
Maybe Leonsis leadership style is to publicly put out things like that, what he wants people to be, then see if they can live up to that standard. Maybe that is what is happening here. But it still seems a pretty big misrepresentation of what has happened.
I hope Howard makes it back on the court and makes it back to playing like he did five years ago, when he was a key cog of some very good mavericks teams. He’s got a ways to go to prove he can do that. He’s got a much, much longer way to go to prove he is a respected leader.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 40
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18