Oct 19, 2010, 5:29 PM EST
I get Wizards owner Ted Leonsis is about second chances. Second chances for a struggling franchise, second chances for Gilbert Arenas. We need that in sports and just in life — people screw up but that is different than being a screw up.
Josh Howard is getting a second chance. A chance to play after an injury that kept him out most of last season (and has him missing the start of this one). So Leonsis put up on his blog (via Ball Don’t Lie) a little post pimping Howard’s slick new Website:
He should be back in a Wizards uniform soon. He is a respected leader and has promised to make a comeback from injury. We all can’t wait but we won’t rush him in any way.
Well done Josh. Well done.
*scratching record noise*
Wait, did he say “respected leader.” Really?
For the guy who admitted during a playoff series that he smoked marijuana in the offseason, turning the issue (whatever you think of his smoking habits) into a huge playoff distraction. An issue that brings up the stereotype of NBA players who, um, get the munchies a lot in the offseason.
The respected leader who said he didn’t respect the American national anthem. The guy who threw a big birthday party for himself during the playoffs on the night of a loss. The guy who… well, it goes on and on. No reason to catalogue everything off the court. Or on it, where his game has slipped in the last couple years (when he has been healthy).
Maybe Leonsis leadership style is to publicly put out things like that, what he wants people to be, then see if they can live up to that standard. Maybe that is what is happening here. But it still seems a pretty big misrepresentation of what has happened.
I hope Howard makes it back on the court and makes it back to playing like he did five years ago, when he was a key cog of some very good mavericks teams. He’s got a ways to go to prove he can do that. He’s got a much, much longer way to go to prove he is a respected leader.
- Mike D’Antoni: Chances “pretty good” Kobe plays Sunday… he sold that short 3
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 13
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 17
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)