Oct 19, 2010, 5:29 PM EDT
I get Wizards owner Ted Leonsis is about second chances. Second chances for a struggling franchise, second chances for Gilbert Arenas. We need that in sports and just in life — people screw up but that is different than being a screw up.
Josh Howard is getting a second chance. A chance to play after an injury that kept him out most of last season (and has him missing the start of this one). So Leonsis put up on his blog (via Ball Don’t Lie) a little post pimping Howard’s slick new Website:
He should be back in a Wizards uniform soon. He is a respected leader and has promised to make a comeback from injury. We all can’t wait but we won’t rush him in any way.
Well done Josh. Well done.
*scratching record noise*
Wait, did he say “respected leader.” Really?
For the guy who admitted during a playoff series that he smoked marijuana in the offseason, turning the issue (whatever you think of his smoking habits) into a huge playoff distraction. An issue that brings up the stereotype of NBA players who, um, get the munchies a lot in the offseason.
The respected leader who said he didn’t respect the American national anthem. The guy who threw a big birthday party for himself during the playoffs on the night of a loss. The guy who… well, it goes on and on. No reason to catalogue everything off the court. Or on it, where his game has slipped in the last couple years (when he has been healthy).
Maybe Leonsis leadership style is to publicly put out things like that, what he wants people to be, then see if they can live up to that standard. Maybe that is what is happening here. But it still seems a pretty big misrepresentation of what has happened.
I hope Howard makes it back on the court and makes it back to playing like he did five years ago, when he was a key cog of some very good mavericks teams. He’s got a ways to go to prove he can do that. He’s got a much, much longer way to go to prove he is a respected leader.
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 1
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 6
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 38
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record