Oct 19, 2010, 11:03 PM EDT
This is very good news, the last thing we want to see is another top coach with throat cancer.
Doc Rivers returned to the Celtics practice today and said that biopsies taken during his Sunday surgery to relieve pressure on his vocal chords (that kept him out of practice Monday) came back as benign. He is cancer free, he told the Associated Press.
“They found cancerous lesions,” Rivers said after the team conducted an open practice for season ticket holders. “They had to make sure there was nothing there, and there was nothing, so I’m good. I’m going to be around for a while it looks like.”
Rivers said coaches are more susceptible to this because they yell so much. Nuggets coach George Karl missed the second half of last season and the playoffs undergoing treatment for throat cancer. He is recovered and is back coaching in Denver.
He will be coaching the team Wednesday night in an exhibition game against the Nets.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 37
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18