Oct 19, 2010, 11:03 PM EST
This is very good news, the last thing we want to see is another top coach with throat cancer.
Doc Rivers returned to the Celtics practice today and said that biopsies taken during his Sunday surgery to relieve pressure on his vocal chords (that kept him out of practice Monday) came back as benign. He is cancer free, he told the Associated Press.
“They found cancerous lesions,” Rivers said after the team conducted an open practice for season ticket holders. “They had to make sure there was nothing there, and there was nothing, so I’m good. I’m going to be around for a while it looks like.”
Rivers said coaches are more susceptible to this because they yell so much. Nuggets coach George Karl missed the second half of last season and the playoffs undergoing treatment for throat cancer. He is recovered and is back coaching in Denver.
He will be coaching the team Wednesday night in an exhibition game against the Nets.
- Pacers players hold locker room meeting after getting crushed by Rockets 16
- PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman 6
- After Lakers’ 48-point loss, Laker GM Kupchak, owner Buss met with coach D’Antoni 30
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 30
- Is Carmelo Anthony’s smart play to opt in and play out contract with Knicks? 25