Oct 19, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Things are going to look a lot different in Cleveland. No LeBron James, a lot less isolation in the offense, them getting out and running rather than being one of the slowest teams in the NBA. More losses, too.
The starting lineup looks basically set, according to the Akron Beacon Journal:
Mo Williams at the point, Anthony Parker at the two, Jamario Moon at the three, JJ Hickson at the four and Anderson Varejao — just back from injury — holding down the middle.
Hickson is the interesting one, he had seemed to spend much of the preseason in coach Byron Scott’s doghouse. Because in the doghouse you don’t have to play defense.
But Scott said the four is Hickson’s job to lose. Why? Maybe because Jamison is shooting 19.2 percent this preseason and is not looking his best. Plus, Hickson is far more athletic and better suited for an up-tempo games.
Still, the defense thing bugs Scott, so he went to the Phil Jackson card — tweak your player through the media.
”It’s the guy who can help me win basketball games right now,” Scott said. ”Coaches can’t say, ‘Three or four years from now, this guy is going to do this.’ I’m going on today. That’s what I have to focus on.
”I’m going to start (Hickson) because he deserves to start. If he doesn’t, I’ll start Antawn.”
Jamison is a veteran, so he gets some preseason slack, but not 19.2 percent slack. Hickson is the going to be the starter. Scott may not love it, but it’s the only choice.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 6
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 11
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 6
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3