Oct 19, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Things are going to look a lot different in Cleveland. No LeBron James, a lot less isolation in the offense, them getting out and running rather than being one of the slowest teams in the NBA. More losses, too.
The starting lineup looks basically set, according to the Akron Beacon Journal:
Mo Williams at the point, Anthony Parker at the two, Jamario Moon at the three, JJ Hickson at the four and Anderson Varejao — just back from injury — holding down the middle.
Hickson is the interesting one, he had seemed to spend much of the preseason in coach Byron Scott’s doghouse. Because in the doghouse you don’t have to play defense.
But Scott said the four is Hickson’s job to lose. Why? Maybe because Jamison is shooting 19.2 percent this preseason and is not looking his best. Plus, Hickson is far more athletic and better suited for an up-tempo games.
Still, the defense thing bugs Scott, so he went to the Phil Jackson card — tweak your player through the media.
”It’s the guy who can help me win basketball games right now,” Scott said. ”Coaches can’t say, ‘Three or four years from now, this guy is going to do this.’ I’m going on today. That’s what I have to focus on.
”I’m going to start (Hickson) because he deserves to start. If he doesn’t, I’ll start Antawn.”
Jamison is a veteran, so he gets some preseason slack, but not 19.2 percent slack. Hickson is the going to be the starter. Scott may not love it, but it’s the only choice.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 62
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31