Oct 19, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Things are going to look a lot different in Cleveland. No LeBron James, a lot less isolation in the offense, them getting out and running rather than being one of the slowest teams in the NBA. More losses, too.
The starting lineup looks basically set, according to the Akron Beacon Journal:
Mo Williams at the point, Anthony Parker at the two, Jamario Moon at the three, JJ Hickson at the four and Anderson Varejao — just back from injury — holding down the middle.
Hickson is the interesting one, he had seemed to spend much of the preseason in coach Byron Scott’s doghouse. Because in the doghouse you don’t have to play defense.
But Scott said the four is Hickson’s job to lose. Why? Maybe because Jamison is shooting 19.2 percent this preseason and is not looking his best. Plus, Hickson is far more athletic and better suited for an up-tempo games.
Still, the defense thing bugs Scott, so he went to the Phil Jackson card — tweak your player through the media.
”It’s the guy who can help me win basketball games right now,” Scott said. ”Coaches can’t say, ‘Three or four years from now, this guy is going to do this.’ I’m going on today. That’s what I have to focus on.
”I’m going to start (Hickson) because he deserves to start. If he doesn’t, I’ll start Antawn.”
Jamison is a veteran, so he gets some preseason slack, but not 19.2 percent slack. Hickson is the going to be the starter. Scott may not love it, but it’s the only choice.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 0
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 30
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16