Oct 19, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Things are going to look a lot different in Cleveland. No LeBron James, a lot less isolation in the offense, them getting out and running rather than being one of the slowest teams in the NBA. More losses, too.
The starting lineup looks basically set, according to the Akron Beacon Journal:
Mo Williams at the point, Anthony Parker at the two, Jamario Moon at the three, JJ Hickson at the four and Anderson Varejao — just back from injury — holding down the middle.
Hickson is the interesting one, he had seemed to spend much of the preseason in coach Byron Scott’s doghouse. Because in the doghouse you don’t have to play defense.
But Scott said the four is Hickson’s job to lose. Why? Maybe because Jamison is shooting 19.2 percent this preseason and is not looking his best. Plus, Hickson is far more athletic and better suited for an up-tempo games.
Still, the defense thing bugs Scott, so he went to the Phil Jackson card — tweak your player through the media.
”It’s the guy who can help me win basketball games right now,” Scott said. ”Coaches can’t say, ‘Three or four years from now, this guy is going to do this.’ I’m going on today. That’s what I have to focus on.
”I’m going to start (Hickson) because he deserves to start. If he doesn’t, I’ll start Antawn.”
Jamison is a veteran, so he gets some preseason slack, but not 19.2 percent slack. Hickson is the going to be the starter. Scott may not love it, but it’s the only choice.
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 16
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 7
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 18
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 21
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26