Oct 18, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
The Spurs were not the slowest team in the NBA last season — actually they were 19th, tied with the Bucks. They were faster than the Celtics, Cavaliers, Haws and the dead-last Blazers.
It just never feels like it. They feel slow, methodical.
This year is going to be different. Sure, 29 other coaches said their team is going to run more this season, but Gregg Popovich means it, as he told the San Antonio Express-News.
“We talk about it every year,” Popovich said. “This year, I’m demanding it.”
“We’ve got to figure out some ways to squeeze out a few more easy baskets,” Popovich said. “We work too hard to score.”
They are never going to be the seven-seconds-or-less Spurs, nor should they be. Popovich knows that just a few easy buckets a game can be a big boost in offense. So the Spurs are going to run…
Okay, they are one possession slower a game in the preseason than they were last season, but we’re not counting preseason. Right?
If Tony Parker is fully back this season the Spurs tempo should pick up, but check back in a couple months for the actual results. It may look a lot like the preseason.
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 12
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 13
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 7
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay