Oct 18, 2010, 11:47 AM EDT
When Chris Paul returned from injury last season, he averaged 38 minutes per game. He has played at least 36 minutes a game every year he has been in the league.
New Hornets coach Monty Williams wants to cut that back to below 35 minutes a game, resting his star a little bit and saving him as the season moves on. He told the Times-Picayune that may be hard as Paul does not like to come off the floor.
It’s preseason, every coach wants to keep his stars minutes down now. The reality of wins or losses changes that.
The biggest issue with CP3’s minutes is that Willie Green is the backup after the Hornets traded away Darren Collison this summer. Green has to keep things close, keep the Hornets in games so that Paul does not have to come back in, for this plan to work.
Green put up solid backup numbers in Philadelphia last season but that was a team struggling in the first place so when they fell behind nobody was shocked. Here the goal is the playoffs. CP3 might get them there. Green has to be better to keep it close for Williams to reach his 35-minute goal.
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 27
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 14
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 35
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 13
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 22
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (107)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead