Oct 18, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT
Lamar Odom is in the majority, at least when NBA players seem to fall on the new technical rules.
He got one Saturday night — he was called for fouling Sacramento’s Carl Landry in the act, and Odom stood there for a few seconds with his arms straight up indicating he didn’t do anything. Three seconds later, technical.
Odom was of two minds on the call. One is that he really doesn’t get why the league has taken calling technicals to an extreme, as he told ESPNLosAngeles.
“It’s kind of crazy because that’s what people love to see. You watch the commercials and the NBA has dunking, [players making] faces and ‘Where Amazing Happens,’” Odom said. “Now it’s like ‘Where Normal Happens.’ … There’s nothing amazing about not showing emotion.”
But the one thing Odom likes less than the calls is writing checks for fines. So he’ll conform.
“You have to zip it,” Odom said. “If they call you for a tech, it’s $2,000. That’s a lot of money in America or anywhere. I don’t want to give away $2,000 for going, ‘Damn, I thought I had the ball!’ or showing emotion. I want to keep my money, point blank.”
This seems to be prevailing sentiment among players — they may not like it but the NBA has the hammer of fines so they will fall in line as best they can.
By a couple months into the season the pendulum will swing to a more normal middle ground. One where a guy throwing up his arms and screaming at a ref does get the T, but a guy standing their for a couple seconds with his arm up is just ignored.
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 10
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 10
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 24
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 16
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement