Oct 18, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT
Lamar Odom is in the majority, at least when NBA players seem to fall on the new technical rules.
He got one Saturday night — he was called for fouling Sacramento’s Carl Landry in the act, and Odom stood there for a few seconds with his arms straight up indicating he didn’t do anything. Three seconds later, technical.
Odom was of two minds on the call. One is that he really doesn’t get why the league has taken calling technicals to an extreme, as he told ESPNLosAngeles.
“It’s kind of crazy because that’s what people love to see. You watch the commercials and the NBA has dunking, [players making] faces and ‘Where Amazing Happens,'” Odom said. “Now it’s like ‘Where Normal Happens.’ … There’s nothing amazing about not showing emotion.”
But the one thing Odom likes less than the calls is writing checks for fines. So he’ll conform.
“You have to zip it,” Odom said. “If they call you for a tech, it’s $2,000. That’s a lot of money in America or anywhere. I don’t want to give away $2,000 for going, ‘Damn, I thought I had the ball!’ or showing emotion. I want to keep my money, point blank.”
This seems to be prevailing sentiment among players — they may not like it but the NBA has the hammer of fines so they will fall in line as best they can.
By a couple months into the season the pendulum will swing to a more normal middle ground. One where a guy throwing up his arms and screaming at a ref does get the T, but a guy standing their for a couple seconds with his arm up is just ignored.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 0
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 8
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 4
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 2
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 5
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3