Oct 18, 2010, 6:04 PM EDT
The New Orleans Hornets announced today that they have waived 26-year old guard Mustafa Shakur, who had signed a partially guaranteed contract with the team earlier this off-season. The Hornets’ recent acquisition of guard Curtis Jerrells made this move all but inevitable.
The former Arizona standout has come achingly close to making an NBA rotation a few times in his professional career, but it hasn’t quite happened for him yet — Shakur was a Lakers summer league invite in 2009 and signed a 10-day contract with the Thunder, but never appeared in a game for either team.
Shakur was named a D-League All-Star in 2010, and also has professional experience overseas.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 16
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 24
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 27
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 30
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30