Oct 18, 2010, 6:04 PM EDT
The New Orleans Hornets announced today that they have waived 26-year old guard Mustafa Shakur, who had signed a partially guaranteed contract with the team earlier this off-season. The Hornets’ recent acquisition of guard Curtis Jerrells made this move all but inevitable.
The former Arizona standout has come achingly close to making an NBA rotation a few times in his professional career, but it hasn’t quite happened for him yet — Shakur was a Lakers summer league invite in 2009 and signed a 10-day contract with the Thunder, but never appeared in a game for either team.
Shakur was named a D-League All-Star in 2010, and also has professional experience overseas.
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 10
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 7
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 10
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 7
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8
- Report: Becky Hammon gaining traction around the NBA as “serious” head-coaching candidate 42
- Gregg Popovich discusses three-point shot, changing roles for bigs in NBA 4