Oct 18, 2010, 8:09 PM EDT
Fabricio Oberto is a man who can get things done. That despite being a little to slow, not great on the boards and not quite good enough a shot. He plays a smart game — which is why he was a starter for the 2007 title-winning Spurs, his interior passing was a great fit with Duncan — but put in a more individualistic situation he struggles. See last season in Washington as an example.
But right now Portland could use a man who can get things done along the front line. Or just a healthy body. They are without Greg Oden for however long that is going to take, Joel Pryzbilla is out until mid-November (but he did practice with the team over the weekend) and Jeff Pendergraph is now gone for the season.
Portland and Oberto are talking. How far depends on who you want to believe. The Oregonian’s Jason Quick said there have been talks but no offer. Although, to be realistic, often these deals are worked out through back channels and agents to that a formal offer is the last thing that happens and is basically a formality. The HoopsMarket said Oberto is choosing between the Blazers and Efes Pilsen and will make that choice in a couple day, even though a similar offer was on the table before and he rejected it. (Saying there are two offers on the table sounds like an agent trying to gain leverage in a deal, but we don’t know who the HoopsMarket sources are.)
Oberto had been waiting for an NBA deal, and while he is not perfect the Blazers will be hard pressed to find anyone better on the market right now. It sounds like it could be a match, if not made in heaven at least one made out of convenience for this year. And those types of deals tend to get done.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 6
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 39
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?