Oct 18, 2010, 9:10 PM EDT
Donté Greene has only started two preseason games for the Kings thus far, put Paul Westphal has apparently already seen enough in Greene to deem him Sacramento’s starter at small forward for the coming season. Omri Casspi gives the Kings another strong alternative should Greene slump in his third season, and Sacramento also has Francisco Garcia and Antoine Wright waiting in the wings.
Greene matured nicely over the course of his second year with the Kings. He was a high-volume scorer at Syracuse, but in his rookie season, struggled with his open looks and shot selection, not to mention his defensive awareness. Greene’s sophomore campaign was far more successful, as he not only substantially increased his measurable efficiency (Greene’s effective field goal percentage jumped from .381 to .504), but has become a pretty useful defender. At 6’11”, Greene can pester all kinds of opponents, and his length has proven quite useful on the wing. Technically speaking, Greene isn’t the most proficient defender, but just as Kevin Durant has made strides defensively by learning to better utilize his height, Greene has done reasonably well when matched up with opponents’ top perimeter threats.
Combine that defensive aptitude with .377 shooting from outside and Greene becomes a pretty interesting piece for the Kings. He’s not exactly going to challenge Tyreke Evans or DeMarcus Cousins for supremacy, but should Greene not lose his focus on the defensive end and continue to pick his spots carefully on offense, he could be a fixture alongside those two for years to come.
- Report: Paul Pierce to sign two-year deal to join Wizards 64
- Report: Trevor Ariza to sign 4-year, $32 million deal with Rockets 44
- Pau Gasol tweets he has chosen to play for Bulls. Only question is will it be sign-and-trade or not. 59
- LeBron James’ contract two years, $42 million with Cavaliers. That doesn’t mean he’s leaving. 49
- LeBron returns to Cleveland a more efficient, mature player that can take team further 36
- Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker shine in head-to-head Summer League matchup 22
- Posnanski: LeBron James proves he’s a true Clevelander 61
- Report: Isaiah Thomas headed to Phoenix Suns in a sign-and-trade 41