Oct 17, 2010, 11:30 AM EST
Lost in the immense number of stories about the Heat this summer, from the obvious LeBron James-Dwyane Wade-Chris Bosh meetup to Zydrunas Ilgauskas joining James to Mike Miller as the designated shooter and Udonis Haslem as the tough guy was the signing of Eddie House. And while there’s a lot of talk about how the Heat don’t have any “winners” (as if the number of wins those guys have racked up is insignificant or Dwyane Wade’s championship ring doesn’t shine golden), House is certainly one.
A member of the 2008 Celtics championship team, House gave a lot himself to Boston. Then he was ditched to New York for Nate Robinson when the Celtics needed a point guard upgrade (if you’d call Nate a point guard). It was a move that you can tell didn’t sit well with House. No matter how many times these guys tell themselves “it’s business” it still stings when a team that you’ve committed to asks you to sacrifice and give yourself and then whips you around for the next available offer. House knows the score, and that’s why he’s in Miami, joining a business-focused Heat team off the bench as soon as he recovers from injury.
“So, at the end of the day, middle fingers to all the haters.”
Fair enough, Eddie. So served.
Opening night is a week and a half away and when it comes, House might be the only member of the Heat to get any sort of applause in Boston. But I’d expect that if he’s ready for that game, and in the subsequent games in Boston, he won’t be playing friendly against his former mates. He’s going to be looking to stick the dagger in. And there’s a decent chance he throws up one of those fingers, too.
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 11
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 24
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 5
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 7
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 7
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 3
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 11