Oct 16, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
Stop me if you’ve heard this one before. Andrew Bynum is “progressing” and could be practicing in a limited capacity as early as next week. You know, like the other 700 times we’ve heard that.
ESPN LA reports that Bynum began resistance strength training Friday, a step towards his return to the floor. Basically, he did some work with one of those big rubber bands you see players using in rehab. Phil Jackson said after practice that he’s hopeful Bynum will be “on the floor” with the team in a week or two. In other news, I’m hopeful a check for a million dollars will be in my hands in a week or two. The two have about equal odds of happening.
Bynum has said he doesn’t think he’s coming back until December. Jackson and the training staff think it might be sooner. Every time the Lakers have had a disagreement with Bynum over his return time, Bynum’s been the one that turned out on target. Dude does not rush himself.
What’s interesting here is exactly that Jackson is publicly making comments about getting him back on the floor. The Lakers are starting to grow weary of Bynum’s recovery time and repeated injury issues. They have made a commitment to him in the long term and need to figure out if he’s going to be able to contribute. Strapping a rubber band on is a step, but it’s not a big one. We’re still waiting to see when and how Bynum gets back on the floor. But as our esteemed editor always says, it doesn’t matter as long as he’s healthy for the playoffs.
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 10
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 42
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 28
- Tim Duncan on decision to opt in for final year of his contract: ‘There was some hesitation there’ 20
- Cavaliers trade Keith Bogans and a second round pick to Sixers 8