Oct 15, 2010, 7:00 PM EDT
A decision could come any day now, but Allen Iverson is still talking about taking his talents to Turkey to play for Besiktas Cola Turka, according to the Associated Press.
Sanem Helvacikoylu, in charge of foreign relations for the team, said Friday that Besiktas is a big club and has conditions in the contract, including “penalties.” She would not elaborate.
But Turkish media has reported that Iverson asked to be exempt from penalties or he would agree to pay a fixed minimal amount.
Helvacikoylu says the talks are ongoing “without interruption.”
To be clear, “penalties” are fines. Which is what we heard was the stumbling block before.
This also tells you exactly why NBA teams have not jumped at Iverson (well, this and how he played and acted last season): He is concerned about how much money Besiktas could take away from him to the point of it putting a deal in doubt.
It could be talk of money should Iverson get an NBA offer, although from what we’ve been told that shouldn’t be much of a concern.
It also could be more of not an “I’ll be good so I won’t get fined” situation, it’s a “let’s limit the inevitable fines so it doesn’t cost me too much” situation. That attitude tells you all you need to know about Iverson now. Larry Brown is right, this is a little sad, but you notice Brown isn’t jumping in to help. Not a coincidence.
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 8
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 30
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 55
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 85
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13