Oct 15, 2010, 7:00 PM EDT
A decision could come any day now, but Allen Iverson is still talking about taking his talents to Turkey to play for Besiktas Cola Turka, according to the Associated Press.
Sanem Helvacikoylu, in charge of foreign relations for the team, said Friday that Besiktas is a big club and has conditions in the contract, including “penalties.” She would not elaborate.
But Turkish media has reported that Iverson asked to be exempt from penalties or he would agree to pay a fixed minimal amount.
Helvacikoylu says the talks are ongoing “without interruption.”
To be clear, “penalties” are fines. Which is what we heard was the stumbling block before.
This also tells you exactly why NBA teams have not jumped at Iverson (well, this and how he played and acted last season): He is concerned about how much money Besiktas could take away from him to the point of it putting a deal in doubt.
It could be talk of money should Iverson get an NBA offer, although from what we’ve been told that shouldn’t be much of a concern.
It also could be more of not an “I’ll be good so I won’t get fined” situation, it’s a “let’s limit the inevitable fines so it doesn’t cost me too much” situation. That attitude tells you all you need to know about Iverson now. Larry Brown is right, this is a little sad, but you notice Brown isn’t jumping in to help. Not a coincidence.
- Report: Dwight Howard told Lakers GM he was frustrated with D’Antoni 3
- Durant, Thunder players tweet out support for Oklahoma City 6
- Brothers allege entourage of Damian Lillard beat them for taking his picture 17
- Amar’e Stoudemire still thinks Knicks’ front court trio can work 17
- Report: Dwight Howard not going to Clippers… did we need a report for that? 18
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (119)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (73)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay