Charlotte has released Javaris Crittenton, and possibly sent his NBA career off into that good night
Oct 15, 2010, 1:41 PM EDT
The Charlotte Bobcats announced today that they have released point guard Javaris Crittenton, who was not only fighting for a spot on the Bobcats roster, but perhaps also fighting for his NBA life. As Gilbert Arenas’ opposite in last season’s gun scandal, Crittenton was hoping to clear his name with an NBA gig this season, but now it seems that Critt will be forced to seek employment elsewhere.
Crittenton has never been a can’t-miss talent, and as such, his NBA future could be forever impacted by the events of last December. If he were oozing with potential, Crittenton’s days of making the headlines would be but a blemish on his overall résumé, but considering how few his opportunities to prove himself have been, he doesn’t yet have the body of work that could discount that kind of bad press.
I wouldn’t expect that a lot of NBA decision-makers necessarily fault Crittenton for what happened, or think of him as some kind of villain. That said, his past brings headaches. Headaches that minimum-salary talents don’t often come with, and don’t have to, given the sheer number of roughly equivalent players out there. This isn’t necessarily a death sentence for Crittenton’s NBA career, but it’s a significant blow. It’s likely he’ll float around in the NBA’s atmosphere for awhile (Summer League, training camp, etc.), but this was a solid shot to make a team weak at his position and yet Crittenton couldn’t get it done. It might be due to his recovery from ankle surgery, play in camp, or his past, but regardless of the justification, Crittenton won’t be an NBA regular this season.
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 0
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 14
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 26
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful