Oct 15, 2010, 9:37 AM EDT
All’s quiet on the Carmelo Anthony trade front.
And Anthony is not happy about that, according to a Denver Post source. You couldn’t tell it on the court — he scored 30 and was one assist shy of a triple-double against the Clippers Thursday — but he wants out.
So long as out isn’t to the Clippers or Sixers. The Post’s source said trades there were not likely, meaning Anthony would not sign an extension for either team, essentially killing a deal.
This source said he wants to go to the Knicks (duh!), Bulls (still no Noah, still no deal) or the Nets. The last one is interesting because previously Anthony stated he never said he would sign an extension with the Nets. So one of two things here: Anthony changed his mind about the Nets or this source is someone from Anthony’s camp still pushing for the Nets option and trying to convince him (the latter seems more likely, to me anyway).
The Nets are reported to still be interested in a deal, one that centers around raw but with plenty of upside rookie Derrick Favors. He has looked that part in preseason, shooting 34 percent overall with some bad shooting nights, followed by flashes of potential. But other teams would have to be involved, and it would get complex, like the now-dead four-team deal from last month.
Denver may also not be that eager to move Anthony right now — the Nuggets are already depleted along the front line. Chris “Birdman” Anderson, Kenyon Martin, Al Harrington are all out and other players like Chauncey Billups got a rest Thursday. This is what George Karl said postgame according to the Associated Press.
“I don’t know when they’re coming back. We’re hoping to get Al back for the regular season,” Karl said. “We have only three of our five 25-30 minute players, so it’s going to be difficult. I told my staff that we have 70 minutes (to dole out), and if we started the season today, I don’t know who would be playing those 70 minutes.”
Regardless of the situation, Anthony apparently still wants out, the sooner the better.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 33
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 68
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 3
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31