Oct 14, 2010, 8:54 AM EDT
Who says veteran players don’t have motivation in the preseason?
Paul Pierce lobbied to stay in the game then knocked down a 19-foot jumper with 8 seconds left to give the Boston Celtics 104-101 win over the Knicks in Madison Square Garden Wednesday night.
Why would he do that for a preseason game?
“I got an 11 o’clock reservation I had to make,” Pierce said. “I didn’t want to stay any longer than I had to, you know what I’m saying? It’s my birthday.”
Birthday party dinner reservation in Manhattan? That will get you focused on the task at hand. But it wasn’t just Pierce.
“I didn’t plan on extending them and then they wanted to stay in there, they were having fun. Paul said he wanted to win, it was his birthday,” said (Celtics coach Doc) Rivers, who along with Jermaine O’Neal also celebrated a birthday.
Pierce and the Celtics starters staged a fourth quarter comeback against the Knicks bench — Mike D’Antoni did not have his starters in during the end of the game. Then again, nobody on the Knicks was having a birthday.
- Spurs take commanding 3-0 lead over Grizzlies with overtime win in Game 3 0
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 32
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?