Oct 13, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
In a few weeks, general managers in Philadelphia, New Jersey and Minnesota could face a question — why did you pass on DeMarcus Cousins?
That’s because no rookie is likely to get off to a faster start than DeMarcus Cousins in Sacramento (save maybe John Wall in Washington).
With Samuel Dalembert out for the first two weeks of the season at least (it could be up to a month), Cousins will get the start at center, according to the Sacramento Bee. So far in four preseason games Cousins is averaging 17 points and 9.5 rebounds a game in 24.5 minutes.
Those are good numbers, the kind of numbers that get people asking a GM, “Why did you pass on him again?”
It’s not all perfect. Cousins is shooting 45.6 percent (not dreadful but lower than you want for a guy working that close to the basket). His assist to turnover ratio is bad, not shocking for a rookie. He’s making mistakes at the defensive end and picking up a lot of fouls.
And that is the end where the Kings really need Cousins if they are to weather the Dalembert loss. Dalembert was there to be the defensive anchor, the rim protector the Kings lacked last season. With him out, that responsibility falls to the rookie as well as Jason Thompson. Cousins has to clog the paint, without drawing the quick whistles rookies often do.
If he can live up to it, there will be even more questions for general managers.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 18
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 48
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17