Oct 13, 2010, 8:57 AM EST
Over at the Lakers blog Silver Screen & Roll, they dug up a video of a little street ball action with Lamar Odom. Watch and learn.
We love to watch that kind of ball (there’s a reason everyone love And 1) but outside of a little move once in a while, that stuff never makes it to the NBA hardwood.
Why? Lamar Odom got asked about the move (by the Kamenetzky brothers of ESPNLosAngeles, watch the video response) and that led to a discussion of why we don’t see more of it:
“I think a lot of times, the people that have perfected it, I don’t think you want to show up the game too much. The perception, people will take it the wrong way, like you’re showboating,” he said. “There are a lot of times where a guy is guarding and steps up, and I could go between his legs and drag it back, you know what I mean? And then a lot of times when you pull a move off, I think the referee just for you doing it will call a travel, or [something]. When [Allen] Iverson came in with the crossover, it was a good move for a little while, then it was kind of like, “Aaaaaah, [that's] palming.” I think in the NBA you always want to make sure you respect the game, and then you want to keep your hand always on top of the ball. In the playground, you can take [the ball at different levels], and it’s a non-call.”
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 3
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 3
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 13
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 11
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Report: Kenyon Martin, Metta World Peace had “heated” argument (35)