Oct 13, 2010, 8:57 AM EDT
Over at the Lakers blog Silver Screen & Roll, they dug up a video of a little street ball action with Lamar Odom. Watch and learn.
We love to watch that kind of ball (there’s a reason everyone love And 1) but outside of a little move once in a while, that stuff never makes it to the NBA hardwood.
Why? Lamar Odom got asked about the move (by the Kamenetzky brothers of ESPNLosAngeles, watch the video response) and that led to a discussion of why we don’t see more of it:
“I think a lot of times, the people that have perfected it, I don’t think you want to show up the game too much. The perception, people will take it the wrong way, like you’re showboating,” he said. “There are a lot of times where a guy is guarding and steps up, and I could go between his legs and drag it back, you know what I mean? And then a lot of times when you pull a move off, I think the referee just for you doing it will call a travel, or [something]. When [Allen] Iverson came in with the crossover, it was a good move for a little while, then it was kind of like, “Aaaaaah, [that's] palming.” I think in the NBA you always want to make sure you respect the game, and then you want to keep your hand always on top of the ball. In the playground, you can take [the ball at different levels], and it’s a non-call.”
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 17
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona