Oct 13, 2010, 8:57 AM EDT
Over at the Lakers blog Silver Screen & Roll, they dug up a video of a little street ball action with Lamar Odom. Watch and learn.
We love to watch that kind of ball (there’s a reason everyone love And 1) but outside of a little move once in a while, that stuff never makes it to the NBA hardwood.
Why? Lamar Odom got asked about the move (by the Kamenetzky brothers of ESPNLosAngeles, watch the video response) and that led to a discussion of why we don’t see more of it:
“I think a lot of times, the people that have perfected it, I don’t think you want to show up the game too much. The perception, people will take it the wrong way, like you’re showboating,” he said. “There are a lot of times where a guy is guarding and steps up, and I could go between his legs and drag it back, you know what I mean? And then a lot of times when you pull a move off, I think the referee just for you doing it will call a travel, or [something]. When [Allen] Iverson came in with the crossover, it was a good move for a little while, then it was kind of like, “Aaaaaah, [that’s] palming.” I think in the NBA you always want to make sure you respect the game, and then you want to keep your hand always on top of the ball. In the playground, you can take [the ball at different levels], and it’s a non-call.”
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 10
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 8
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 5
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 38
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 6
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 15
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3