Oct 13, 2010, 10:10 PM EDT
We don’t know what Kevin Garnett said to referee Kane Fitzgerald. If you’ve ever watched Bull Durham you can take a guess, but we don’t know.
Whatever it was, it was some magical words that got Garnett tossed with two quick technicals from a preseason game against the Knicks at Madison square Garden.
In the second quarter, the action was under the basket and Boston’s Jermaine O’Neal was called for a foul going for an offensive rebound. He went over and started talking to the referee — a little too long for the refs taste — and he got a technical.
Garnett was out near midcourt talking to Fitzgerald and said something caused Fitzgerald to give KG a technical. Fitzgerald turned and walked away toward the scorer’s table, Garnett said something else, Fitzgerald spun and ejected him.
It came on a night when referee officials came and spoke to both teams about the NBA’s crackdown on no overt gestures and complaining without getting a technical.
The referees are not holding back either — last night San Antonio’s George Hill got one with his team up two and less than 30 seconds left in the game after he jumped up and down then stormed away from an official after a call. It was a call that almost cost the Spurs the game.
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 25
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 44
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 15
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 8
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 55