Oct 13, 2010, 10:10 PM EDT
We don’t know what Kevin Garnett said to referee Kane Fitzgerald. If you’ve ever watched Bull Durham you can take a guess, but we don’t know.
Whatever it was, it was some magical words that got Garnett tossed with two quick technicals from a preseason game against the Knicks at Madison square Garden.
In the second quarter, the action was under the basket and Boston’s Jermaine O’Neal was called for a foul going for an offensive rebound. He went over and started talking to the referee — a little too long for the refs taste — and he got a technical.
Garnett was out near midcourt talking to Fitzgerald and said something caused Fitzgerald to give KG a technical. Fitzgerald turned and walked away toward the scorer’s table, Garnett said something else, Fitzgerald spun and ejected him.
It came on a night when referee officials came and spoke to both teams about the NBA’s crackdown on no overt gestures and complaining without getting a technical.
The referees are not holding back either — last night San Antonio’s George Hill got one with his team up two and less than 30 seconds left in the game after he jumped up and down then stormed away from an official after a call. It was a call that almost cost the Spurs the game.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13