Oct 13, 2010, 10:10 PM EDT
We don’t know what Kevin Garnett said to referee Kane Fitzgerald. If you’ve ever watched Bull Durham you can take a guess, but we don’t know.
Whatever it was, it was some magical words that got Garnett tossed with two quick technicals from a preseason game against the Knicks at Madison square Garden.
In the second quarter, the action was under the basket and Boston’s Jermaine O’Neal was called for a foul going for an offensive rebound. He went over and started talking to the referee — a little too long for the refs taste — and he got a technical.
Garnett was out near midcourt talking to Fitzgerald and said something caused Fitzgerald to give KG a technical. Fitzgerald turned and walked away toward the scorer’s table, Garnett said something else, Fitzgerald spun and ejected him.
It came on a night when referee officials came and spoke to both teams about the NBA’s crackdown on no overt gestures and complaining without getting a technical.
The referees are not holding back either — last night San Antonio’s George Hill got one with his team up two and less than 30 seconds left in the game after he jumped up and down then stormed away from an official after a call. It was a call that almost cost the Spurs the game.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 0
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 12
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14