Oct 13, 2010, 10:10 PM EDT
We don’t know what Kevin Garnett said to referee Kane Fitzgerald. If you’ve ever watched Bull Durham you can take a guess, but we don’t know.
Whatever it was, it was some magical words that got Garnett tossed with two quick technicals from a preseason game against the Knicks at Madison square Garden.
In the second quarter, the action was under the basket and Boston’s Jermaine O’Neal was called for a foul going for an offensive rebound. He went over and started talking to the referee — a little too long for the refs taste — and he got a technical.
Garnett was out near midcourt talking to Fitzgerald and said something caused Fitzgerald to give KG a technical. Fitzgerald turned and walked away toward the scorer’s table, Garnett said something else, Fitzgerald spun and ejected him.
It came on a night when referee officials came and spoke to both teams about the NBA’s crackdown on no overt gestures and complaining without getting a technical.
The referees are not holding back either — last night San Antonio’s George Hill got one with his team up two and less than 30 seconds left in the game after he jumped up and down then stormed away from an official after a call. It was a call that almost cost the Spurs the game.
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 1
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 15
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 16
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6