Oct 13, 2010, 6:40 PM EDT
UPDATE 6:40 pm: It’s official, the Hornets have announced they have reached a one-year deal with Congo Cash (although they refer to him as DJ Mbenga for some reason).
No ring and a very different feel this year for Mbenga getting out of the Lakers spotlight, but you can bet the people in New Orleans will take to him. Good guy.
3:18 pm: Looks like the Hornets may be Mbanging with Mbenga.
The journeyman center who picked up a couple shiny championship rings with the Lakers the last couple of seasons is in New Orleans to work out for the team and is close to signing a one-year deal with the franchise, according to a tweet from Marc Stein of ESPN.
It makes some sense, the Hornets are looking for a little bench depth at center and Mbenga is looking to get paid. By anyone.
Hornets’ fans will like Mbenga, called Congo Cash by his LA teammates. On the court he’ll block some shots and is just kind of fun to watch play mop up minutes, in a goofy sort of way. Off it he’s a classy guy who is very involved in trying to improve things in his native Congo. He even built a court there in Kobe’s name. .
Now it may be Hornets fans chance to get to games an hour early and watch Mbenga work hard on a midrange game that looks so good then but always seems to let him down during actual games.
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 10
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 26
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16