Oct 13, 2010, 6:40 PM EST
UPDATE 6:40 pm: It’s official, the Hornets have announced they have reached a one-year deal with Congo Cash (although they refer to him as DJ Mbenga for some reason).
No ring and a very different feel this year for Mbenga getting out of the Lakers spotlight, but you can bet the people in New Orleans will take to him. Good guy.
3:18 pm: Looks like the Hornets may be Mbanging with Mbenga.
The journeyman center who picked up a couple shiny championship rings with the Lakers the last couple of seasons is in New Orleans to work out for the team and is close to signing a one-year deal with the franchise, according to a tweet from Marc Stein of ESPN.
It makes some sense, the Hornets are looking for a little bench depth at center and Mbenga is looking to get paid. By anyone.
Hornets’ fans will like Mbenga, called Congo Cash by his LA teammates. On the court he’ll block some shots and is just kind of fun to watch play mop up minutes, in a goofy sort of way. Off it he’s a classy guy who is very involved in trying to improve things in his native Congo. He even built a court there in Kobe’s name. .
Now it may be Hornets fans chance to get to games an hour early and watch Mbenga work hard on a midrange game that looks so good then but always seems to let him down during actual games.
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 1
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 1
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 5
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 1
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 5
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 25
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 10