Oct 12, 2010, 3:56 PM EST
What did Kevin Durant, Derrick Rose, Chauncey Billups and the rest of Team USA get for winning the gold medal at the FIBA World Championships in Turkey.
The bonus was $25,000. Which in case you’re curious is about 0.4 percent of what Kevin Durant will make this season. Some nice pocket change for him.
Chris Sheridan of ESPN asked Turkish center Semih Erden (now of the Celtics) what they got and… well, Durant might consider seeing if he can get Turkish citizenship (as written up at TrueHoop, noticed by SLAM).
Erden told me that each of the players on the Turkish National Team that won the silver medal at last month’s World Championship received a bonus of 1 million Turkish Lira (about $700,000) along with a free villa/apartment, courtesy of a wealthy Turkish real estate mogul who wanted to reward them for their success.
Erden will make about $473,000 as a member o the Celtics. So, he more than doubled his salary and picked up a nice Turkish villa in the process. The Bulls Omar Asik got about a 45 percent pay bump, while Ersan Ilyasova made about a 33 percent pay increase. Hedo Turkoglu… he just got richer and people in Toronto just got more ticked off.
Take that Durant. Turkey beat you somewhere.
- Wesley Matthew’s injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 1
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 8
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14