Oct 12, 2010, 8:01 PM EDT
UPDATE 8:01 pm: ESPNLA’s Dave McMenamin tweeted Artest’s comments on receiving the key to the city.
Ron Artest on being presented w/ the key to the city in Las Vegas tonight: “I’ll probably walk into everybody’s homes. I got the key, so…”
“I’m going to Floyd Mayweather’s house first, put on some of his jewelery”
5:46 pm: Ron Artest — he of the no more alcholol or other party mood enhancers — has his own day in the place best known for those things:
Tuesday is Ron Artest Day in Las Vegas. Officially.
Crack all the jokes you want — “free Hennessey during half time of the Lakers game tomorrow” — this is in honor of Artest’s philanthropic work. Kevin Ding of the OC Register has your answers on what Artest has doe:
Las Vegas City Councilman Steve Wolfson was set to honor Artest for his work with Xcel University, his program that works with community centers and schools to identify high-risk students and give students an incentive toward a healthy lifestyle. Artest has also been supporting The Mental Health in Schools Act, which will be reintroduced into Congress in February during the 2011 legislative session and would provide $200 million in grant funding to schools nationwide to hire on-site mental health professionals to work with students suffering from mental-health issues.
It’s a well deserved honor for Artest. There are guys that do charity work and make sure a camera crew tags along, then there are guys who just do it because it matters to them. Artest is in the latter category. He publicizes a lot of things, but rarely his work in the community.
The ceremony took place at the Mirage Hotel — not so coincidentally a Lakers sponsor. And a place with a lot of Hennessey in the house. Sorry, couldn’t resist.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 1
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 79
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20