Oct 12, 2010, 8:32 PM EDT
Dwight Howard wanted to refine his post moves, so he sought out Hakeem Olajuwon. John Wall wanted to refine his post moves, too, but he didn’t have to seek out anyone; one of the best post-up point guards of the modern era serves on Flip Saunders’ coaching staff, ready to school Wall (and Washington’s other eager minds) on a whim.
Courtesy of Kyle Weidie of Truth About It, we have video of Wall and Sam Cassell trading post-ups in practice, and the old man can still pull off a move or two. Head over to Truth About It to see the video.
It doesn’t take much in-depth observation to see the differences between the two players. Wall may have the advantage in speed, but Cassell’s moves are practiced and deliberate. He knows exactly where he’s going and exactly how to counter if his first option is taken away. On top of that, Wall begins most of his post-up sequences without really fighting for position at all, whereas Cassell does a stellar job of positioning himself before even receiving the entry pass.
Plus, when Wall pulls off a move against Cassell, he preens to cheers from observers. Which one of these is the superstar-in-the-making Great Hope, and which is the run-down retiree again?
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 0
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 6
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 11
- Report: Clippers pull out of talks with Celtics 30
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (96)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'