Oct 12, 2010, 8:50 AM EST
In one scenario, Kobe Bryant drives the lane and draws contact but no whistle is blown, so throws up his hands in disgust, says something to the referee and trails the play back up the court so he can glare at the ref.
In another scenario, Kobe drives the lane and draws contact and a foul is called on Chauncey Billups as the defender, who throws his arms up in disgust but walks away without talking to the ref; he just moves away, refocuses and gets ready to go on.
Under the NBA’s new crackdown, both of those reactions get a technical foul. Both players made a gesture.
NBA players are not thrilled, and after meeting with NBA officials about the crackdown a couple Nuggets spoke to the Denver post about it.
After Monday’s practice, Billups first gestured as if he didn’t want to discuss the issue. But then, asked if emotions are hard to keep in check, the Nuggets veteran said: “(They’re) impossible to keep in check. It’s an emotional game, and it’s impossible to not show emotion playing basketball. Shoot, it’s impossible to do playing golf. And that’s no physical contact at all, no referees, nothing. It’s tough.”
Forward Carmelo Anthony joked: “I’m not going to say nothing (to referees during games)…. You’re going to have guys who get emotional during the game, clap their hands, yell and scream. As long as they do that in a professional way, I don’t think that should be a tech, but we can’t do that anymore.… From what we’ve seen (with the new crackdown), we can’t have that much emotion.”
As tends to happen when the NBA does this every few years (much like crackdowns on other rules), there will be a lot of early-season technicals as referees enforce the letter of the law and players try to adjust. But the referees will slip back over time, and the players will make a little step to be less demonstrative.
You can rest assured that this will come up again the first time a tech is called that changes the end of a game — when players should be emotional and passionate. There will be a backlash.
But we need to have this crackdown… because some focus groups said so.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 8
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 11
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 12
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 32
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 9
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10