Oct 12, 2010, 2:03 PM EDT
Sure, he can snarl and pound his chest and be all kinds of in-your-face intense. And that’s just in practice. But Kevin Garnett wants to help out the bigs that come in to Celtics camp.
You had just better listen, as Doc Rivers warned future Celtics big men (and you too, Luke Harangody), via the Boston Herald.
“He helps the ones he likes,” Celtics [team stats] coach Doc Rivers said. “Kevin’s great, and I won’t use names, but Kevin tries to help every big that comes in here. If that big doesn’t listen to him one time, then he’ll never listen to him again. Literally. And that has happened a couple of times, and it’s been good for that guy. Now those two guys he did that to are no longer here, and that may be one of the reasons.
“If you’re not going to listen to Kevin when he’s trying to help you, then you probably messed up. But that’s Kevin. You talk about the Celtic Way, then just say Kevin Garnett and you’re pretty much there, because everything he does and says is about the team. The thing about Semih [Erden, Celtics rookie] is that he didn’t think Semih was showing, his angles were bad, and it was affecting the team, and that’s what this was about.”
Rivers won’t name names about the KG’s banned list, but Herald Celtics writer Mark Murphy does, and he lists the consequences.
To Rivers’ earlier point about past teammates who didn’t listen, a post-practice session between Garnett and former C’s center Patrick O’Bryant from two years ago still comes to mind. Garnett spent the entire time dunking over the blank-faced O’Bryant and shouting, “Do you feel me?”
O’Bryant is now playing in China, for the record.
We’re feeling you Kevin. We’re feeling you.
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 0
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 14
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 26
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful