Oct 12, 2010, 9:33 AM EDT
This is the season we find out for sure — is Andrea Bargnani ready to be a No. 1 offensive option?
Early preseason results are not positive.
He is just 2 of 17 from the floor this preseason, leading a Raptors offense that as a whole has struggled to put the ball in the hoop.
And with Chris Bosh gone, Bargnani is seeing other team’s top defenders — he had Kevin Garnett on him when it was the Celtics, he had Robin Lopez shadowing him against Phoenix.
Raptors coach Jay Triano told the Toronto Sun he was not worried, that Bargnani would come around.
“It’s like he’s catching it and trying to make something happen in a hurry,” Triano said. “The speed of the game which he saw this summer has probably changed a little bit so he just has to slow down a bit offensively.”
Triano is also counting on more rebounding from Bargnani as well, something that takes an aggressive nature Bargnani has not always shown.
It is going to be a tough year in Toronto regardless, but if Bargnani does not step up things will be even tougher.
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 2
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10