Oct 12, 2010, 9:33 AM EST
This is the season we find out for sure — is Andrea Bargnani ready to be a No. 1 offensive option?
Early preseason results are not positive.
He is just 2 of 17 from the floor this preseason, leading a Raptors offense that as a whole has struggled to put the ball in the hoop.
And with Chris Bosh gone, Bargnani is seeing other team’s top defenders — he had Kevin Garnett on him when it was the Celtics, he had Robin Lopez shadowing him against Phoenix.
Raptors coach Jay Triano told the Toronto Sun he was not worried, that Bargnani would come around.
“It’s like he’s catching it and trying to make something happen in a hurry,” Triano said. “The speed of the game which he saw this summer has probably changed a little bit so he just has to slow down a bit offensively.”
Triano is also counting on more rebounding from Bargnani as well, something that takes an aggressive nature Bargnani has not always shown.
It is going to be a tough year in Toronto regardless, but if Bargnani does not step up things will be even tougher.
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 0
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 10
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 16
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 49
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11