Oct 12, 2010, 9:33 AM EDT
This is the season we find out for sure — is Andrea Bargnani ready to be a No. 1 offensive option?
Early preseason results are not positive.
He is just 2 of 17 from the floor this preseason, leading a Raptors offense that as a whole has struggled to put the ball in the hoop.
And with Chris Bosh gone, Bargnani is seeing other team’s top defenders — he had Kevin Garnett on him when it was the Celtics, he had Robin Lopez shadowing him against Phoenix.
Raptors coach Jay Triano told the Toronto Sun he was not worried, that Bargnani would come around.
“It’s like he’s catching it and trying to make something happen in a hurry,” Triano said. “The speed of the game which he saw this summer has probably changed a little bit so he just has to slow down a bit offensively.”
Triano is also counting on more rebounding from Bargnani as well, something that takes an aggressive nature Bargnani has not always shown.
It is going to be a tough year in Toronto regardless, but if Bargnani does not step up things will be even tougher.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 8
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 9
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 59
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 65
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 41
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8