Oct 11, 2010, 4:46 PM EDT
Russian import Timofey Mozgov could be the starting center when the New York Knicks open the season in Toronto in two weeks.
No, we’re not kidding. He will start for sure Monday against the Celtics — which would have been a good test if Shaq played, however he is resting — but if he keeps passing his tests he could be the opening night starter, according to Frank Isola of the New York Daily News.
Who else you going to play? Ronny Turiaf? You are going to be hard pressed to find many bigger Turiaf supporters than yours truly, but he is a back up. He is a great energy big-man off the bench for 15-20 a game. He is not a starter.
Eddy Curry? Ha.
Mozgov is a guy who is very adept at the high pick-and-roll that is so crucial to Mike D’Antoni’s offense. He has good offensive movement and touch. The questions are can he defend and board better than Turiaf, and can he stay out of foul trouble. Boston should be a good test for those things.
Ultimately the five spot is something the Knicks need to upgrade, but in the short term Mozgov is going to get his shot. What he does with it will be something to watch for a couple weeks.
- Metta World Peace says Howard isn’t going anywhere because he has a hold on his… um… those 10
- In praise of the brilliant, baffling Manu Ginobili 17
- If Doc is out, who is in for Celtics? Maybe Del Negro, Frank 13
- Where does Celtics’ Rivers, Garnett trade to Clippers stand? They’re talking. 28
- Boris Diaw’s defense slowed LeBron down. I know, right? 26
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- PBT: Unheralded Green could steal NBA Finals MVP