Oct 11, 2010, 4:46 PM EDT
Russian import Timofey Mozgov could be the starting center when the New York Knicks open the season in Toronto in two weeks.
No, we’re not kidding. He will start for sure Monday against the Celtics — which would have been a good test if Shaq played, however he is resting — but if he keeps passing his tests he could be the opening night starter, according to Frank Isola of the New York Daily News.
Who else you going to play? Ronny Turiaf? You are going to be hard pressed to find many bigger Turiaf supporters than yours truly, but he is a back up. He is a great energy big-man off the bench for 15-20 a game. He is not a starter.
Eddy Curry? Ha.
Mozgov is a guy who is very adept at the high pick-and-roll that is so crucial to Mike D’Antoni’s offense. He has good offensive movement and touch. The questions are can he defend and board better than Turiaf, and can he stay out of foul trouble. Boston should be a good test for those things.
Ultimately the five spot is something the Knicks need to upgrade, but in the short term Mozgov is going to get his shot. What he does with it will be something to watch for a couple weeks.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 1
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 31
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40