Oct 11, 2010, 3:46 PM EDT
What are things doctors tell you about staying healthy? Reduce stress, eat right, get plenty of sleep.
Three things that coaches do not get. Not in the NBA, not really in any professional or college sport by and large. Long hours, irregular eating schedules that mean too much greasy food, travel and disrupted sleeping patterns are just part of the job.
All of it got to Rick Carlisle — an avid physical fitness guy who is in better shape than most coaches — and he fainted on the court Friday.
Then he was back to work later that day. He was forced to take some time off with the team traveling to California for a preseason game, but now on Monday he is back at it full force, according to Art Garcia of NBA.com.
Is that really different than Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio being back only a couple weeks after a heart attack? Or countless other similar stories across numerous sports.
“I was there the night that Hank [Gathers] went down and when stuff like that happens, you take fainting a whole lot differently. It’s something that you have to take seriously, and we did, and everything’s checked out. So we just turn the page and move on from here.”
Let’s hope for Carlisle that he and his body can just turn the page.
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 3
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 4
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 9
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 37
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record