Oct 11, 2010, 8:21 AM EDT
If Portland is going rise up and challenge the Lakers in the West, Marcus Camby is going to have to play a big role. We have no idea what kind of role Greg Oden will play, and if he is not protecting the rim then Camby must.
At least for another two seasons.
“I’ll finish out my contract. I don’t know (after that),” Camby, making $8.45 million this season and $9.26 million in 2011-12, said in an interview with FanHouse about uncertainty beyond then. “It depends on how my body feels. It depends on the situation that I’m in. If I’m in the rotation, then I’m fine with that. I think I’ve got too much pride to be the 11th or 12th man.”
“I could,” Camby said of being able to play in the NBA for several years after his contract expires. “But I don’t know. I’ve got to get reacquainted with my kids.”
Camby will be 37 at the end of this contract, a time when a lot of players re-evaluate if the time away from family is worth the money and pressure anymore. They take stock. There will be teams willing to take on Camby then (maybe even Portland) but it sounds like he wants a good situation, good money and a team that gives him reason to get out of the bed in the morning.
We’ll see what motivates him to do that in a couple years. It could be his kids.
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 0
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 2
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 14
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings