Oct 11, 2010, 10:54 AM EDT
LeBron James has been pretty tight lipped about his elbow injury last season, which led to plenty of speculation about what really happened.
But LeBron opened up a little to Lang Whitaker of SLAM (something Tom Ziller of FanHouse noted happened a little a while ago but only appeared in the printed magazine, not online, so it has been slow to catch on).
“It was pretty bad. It was something we couldn’t figure out exactly what it was. There was times where I couldn’t fully extend my elbow, and that’s my shooting arm. And I do a lot with my right hand [laughs] … Close to the last week of the season it started hurting a little bit, and then it just got worse throughout the playoffs.”
Despite all the conspiracy theories out there, it was pretty self evident that LeBron was physically not right against Boston and through much of the playoffs. Some will not believe that — it’s more fun to believe in fantastic conspiracies than dull, obvious truths (hint, there was nobody on the grassy knoll) — but it was pretty clear to most. The core of his game changed, he shot more jumpers because he stopped attacking the rim. Like he didn’t want the contact that had never slowed him before.
LeBron didn’t talk about it because he doesn’t talk about injuries — we laud Kobe when he does this, but LeBron gets vilified. Danny Ferry said he would have rested during the regular season, but nobody rests during the playoffs.
And even in Heat camp now, there is special attention paid to LeBron’s elbow, because if they couldn’t figure out what it was then it could recur.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 18
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 37
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85