Oct 11, 2010, 10:54 AM EDT
LeBron James has been pretty tight lipped about his elbow injury last season, which led to plenty of speculation about what really happened.
But LeBron opened up a little to Lang Whitaker of SLAM (something Tom Ziller of FanHouse noted happened a little a while ago but only appeared in the printed magazine, not online, so it has been slow to catch on).
“It was pretty bad. It was something we couldn’t figure out exactly what it was. There was times where I couldn’t fully extend my elbow, and that’s my shooting arm. And I do a lot with my right hand [laughs] … Close to the last week of the season it started hurting a little bit, and then it just got worse throughout the playoffs.”
Despite all the conspiracy theories out there, it was pretty self evident that LeBron was physically not right against Boston and through much of the playoffs. Some will not believe that — it’s more fun to believe in fantastic conspiracies than dull, obvious truths (hint, there was nobody on the grassy knoll) — but it was pretty clear to most. The core of his game changed, he shot more jumpers because he stopped attacking the rim. Like he didn’t want the contact that had never slowed him before.
LeBron didn’t talk about it because he doesn’t talk about injuries — we laud Kobe when he does this, but LeBron gets vilified. Danny Ferry said he would have rested during the regular season, but nobody rests during the playoffs.
And even in Heat camp now, there is special attention paid to LeBron’s elbow, because if they couldn’t figure out what it was then it could recur.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20