Oct 11, 2010, 10:54 AM EST
LeBron James has been pretty tight lipped about his elbow injury last season, which led to plenty of speculation about what really happened.
But LeBron opened up a little to Lang Whitaker of SLAM (something Tom Ziller of FanHouse noted happened a little a while ago but only appeared in the printed magazine, not online, so it has been slow to catch on).
“It was pretty bad. It was something we couldn’t figure out exactly what it was. There was times where I couldn’t fully extend my elbow, and that’s my shooting arm. And I do a lot with my right hand [laughs] … Close to the last week of the season it started hurting a little bit, and then it just got worse throughout the playoffs.”
Despite all the conspiracy theories out there, it was pretty self evident that LeBron was physically not right against Boston and through much of the playoffs. Some will not believe that — it’s more fun to believe in fantastic conspiracies than dull, obvious truths (hint, there was nobody on the grassy knoll) — but it was pretty clear to most. The core of his game changed, he shot more jumpers because he stopped attacking the rim. Like he didn’t want the contact that had never slowed him before.
LeBron didn’t talk about it because he doesn’t talk about injuries — we laud Kobe when he does this, but LeBron gets vilified. Danny Ferry said he would have rested during the regular season, but nobody rests during the playoffs.
And even in Heat camp now, there is special attention paid to LeBron’s elbow, because if they couldn’t figure out what it was then it could recur.
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 0
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 1
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 21
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 26
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (56)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)