Oct 11, 2010, 8:02 PM EST
WBGG — Big 105.9 in Miami — has it all. Classic rock all week, so you can get your Foreigner fix, with Miami Dolphin and Miami Heat games. It’s the perfect mix (if you actually like Foreigner for some inexplicable reason)…
Unless the Heat and Dolphins have games at same time, and both have contracts that say they have to be on the big Clear Channel station. Then everybody gets angry we are off to court, as the Hollywood Reporter had today.
The question has spilled into litigation, as the Heat have just filed legal action against Clear Channel. The team is coming off a high-profile off-season, recruiting James and Chris Bosh, but now the team is claiming that Clear Channel is breaching its contract by favoring the Dolphins.
According to the complaint, the team’s two-year-old broadcast rights agreement with Clear Channel specifies that if another Florida sports team was granted a rights agreement, the Heat would be entitled to an equivalent package.
What is really going on here? Here’s my best guess: the Heat got a look at the Dolphins radio deal because of all this and they realize they could get more — now that they are THE MIAMI HEAT.
According to the lawsuit, Clear Channel’s agreement with the Dolphins granted the team broadcast rights on WBGG-FM as well as WINZ-AM, plus the right to sell advertising. The broadcaster allegedly also gave the Dolphins two hours of pre and post-game time whereas the Heat only got a half hour. The Heat claim Clear Channel also gave the Dolphins rights to create other shows such as twice weekly specials devoted to interviews with coaches and players, as well as an HD channel centered on the Dolphins. Other considerations were allegedly made, including outdoor promotions, public service announcements, charitable events and rights fees that were more favorable to the Dolphins.
The Heat are claiming breach of contract, meaning now they really want to renegotiate their deal since they are the shizzle.
As for who the people of Miami want to hear, Dolphins or Heat? Probably Foreigner.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 0
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 6
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 30
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20