Oct 11, 2010, 8:02 PM EST
WBGG — Big 105.9 in Miami — has it all. Classic rock all week, so you can get your Foreigner fix, with Miami Dolphin and Miami Heat games. It’s the perfect mix (if you actually like Foreigner for some inexplicable reason)…
Unless the Heat and Dolphins have games at same time, and both have contracts that say they have to be on the big Clear Channel station. Then everybody gets angry we are off to court, as the Hollywood Reporter had today.
The question has spilled into litigation, as the Heat have just filed legal action against Clear Channel. The team is coming off a high-profile off-season, recruiting James and Chris Bosh, but now the team is claiming that Clear Channel is breaching its contract by favoring the Dolphins.
According to the complaint, the team’s two-year-old broadcast rights agreement with Clear Channel specifies that if another Florida sports team was granted a rights agreement, the Heat would be entitled to an equivalent package.
What is really going on here? Here’s my best guess: the Heat got a look at the Dolphins radio deal because of all this and they realize they could get more — now that they are THE MIAMI HEAT.
According to the lawsuit, Clear Channel’s agreement with the Dolphins granted the team broadcast rights on WBGG-FM as well as WINZ-AM, plus the right to sell advertising. The broadcaster allegedly also gave the Dolphins two hours of pre and post-game time whereas the Heat only got a half hour. The Heat claim Clear Channel also gave the Dolphins rights to create other shows such as twice weekly specials devoted to interviews with coaches and players, as well as an HD channel centered on the Dolphins. Other considerations were allegedly made, including outdoor promotions, public service announcements, charitable events and rights fees that were more favorable to the Dolphins.
The Heat are claiming breach of contract, meaning now they really want to renegotiate their deal since they are the shizzle.
As for who the people of Miami want to hear, Dolphins or Heat? Probably Foreigner.
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 0
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 1
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 6
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 5
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 14
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (36)