Oct 11, 2010, 11:23 AM EST
Andrew Bogut was cleared to play by doctors, but since has missed the three preseason games the Milwaukee Bucks have played due to swelling and soreness in his surgically repaired right arm and hand. Which is not a shock, when you thing back to the gruesome injury he suffered last April.
Bogut also is realizing he may not be right for a lot longer and will have to play through the pain this season, as he told the Journal Sentinel.
“I’m just trying to be a little careful before the real season starts,” he said. “I’d like to start practicing probably this week, but I they said it would be about seven… think it’ll probably be another to 10 days from when it first happened.
“The elbow, I won’t be 100%, so I’ll have to play through… finger, everything the pain through the season. Even once it gets better, I’m still going to be 90 percent for the year or 85 percent. I don’t have my mobility and flexibility like I should, but I just have to adjust to it.”
Bogut is such a focal point of the Bucks offense that 85 percent of him is a hit to their offense. But where the Bucks need him more is on defense patrolling the paint and protecting the rim.
The question with major injuries is often as much mental as physical — can Bogut not be tentative and play with the same energy he did before? We don’t know the answer to that, we may not until the season starts. At the earliest.
Meanwhile Bogut has plenty of company on the bench — John Salmons, Corey Maggette, Carlos Delfino and Bogut’s backup Jon Brockman all sat out the team’s most recent preseason game. That’s a lot of things that have to get right before the games matter.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 5
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 28
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 58
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 44