Oct 11, 2010, 11:23 AM EDT
Andrew Bogut was cleared to play by doctors, but since has missed the three preseason games the Milwaukee Bucks have played due to swelling and soreness in his surgically repaired right arm and hand. Which is not a shock, when you thing back to the gruesome injury he suffered last April.
Bogut also is realizing he may not be right for a lot longer and will have to play through the pain this season, as he told the Journal Sentinel.
“I’m just trying to be a little careful before the real season starts,” he said. “I’d like to start practicing probably this week, but I they said it would be about seven… think it’ll probably be another to 10 days from when it first happened.
“The elbow, I won’t be 100%, so I’ll have to play through… finger, everything the pain through the season. Even once it gets better, I’m still going to be 90 percent for the year or 85 percent. I don’t have my mobility and flexibility like I should, but I just have to adjust to it.”
Bogut is such a focal point of the Bucks offense that 85 percent of him is a hit to their offense. But where the Bucks need him more is on defense patrolling the paint and protecting the rim.
The question with major injuries is often as much mental as physical — can Bogut not be tentative and play with the same energy he did before? We don’t know the answer to that, we may not until the season starts. At the earliest.
Meanwhile Bogut has plenty of company on the bench — John Salmons, Corey Maggette, Carlos Delfino and Bogut’s backup Jon Brockman all sat out the team’s most recent preseason game. That’s a lot of things that have to get right before the games matter.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 17
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 34
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85