Oct 11, 2010, 1:38 PM EST
Alan Iverson playing in Turkey?
“We are in very serious negotiations with [Besiktas],” Iverson’s business manager Gary Moore told Yahoo! Sports. “Istanbul is beautiful from everything we’ve learned. It’s not that far from the U.S., and the competition is good which makes it all attractive.
“Allen wants to play basketball.”
Iverson would have a base salary of $1.5 million with incentives that could take him north of $2 million. One area still being negotiated is how much Besiktas could fine Iverson — his people want to keep that at no more than $15,000 per fine tops, but the club wants it higher.
Iverson may also want to do his homework on the financial viability of Besiktas, as one American born player, Lonnie Baxter, has sued the team for non-payment.
The Turkish league certainly has some talent (and this is a top squad in the leauge), although Iverson’s game seems a questionable fit for the European style game — over there ball and off-the-ball player movement is key, where Iverson is mostly an American-style isolation, drive-and-kick player.
But after not only struggling on the court but also having chemistry issues his last few stops (including Memphis and Philadelphia), Iverson is not going to get an NBA invite right now. If he wants to play it will have to be overseas somewhere.
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 12
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 6
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 30
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 16
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 20
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)