Oct 9, 2010, 10:09 PM EDT
The Clippers made three additions to the free agent pool on Saturday, including two notable names. According to Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports, L.A. has parted ways with NBA vet Jake Voskuhl, Dukie Jon Scheyer, and “other guy” Stephen Dennis.
Voskuhl was last seen — in an official NBA capacity, at least — as a member of the ’09 Raptors, though he did have a training camp stint last season with the Dallas Mavericks. Obviously Voskuhl didn’t stick then, and he was hoping to have better luck with this season’s Clippers. Bummer. On the bright side, Voskuhl could be a mid-season addition for a team lacking in center depth, or a team looking to compensate for injuries to their bigs.
Scheyer, who went undrafted after winning a national championship with Duke last season, attempted to fight for a roster spot with Miami at the Vegas Summer League before a nasty eye injury cut his tryout short. He was then linked to the Utah Jazz as a potential training camp candidate, but opted to go to camp with the Clippers instead. That didn’t work out too well for him, but his chances of making Utah’s roster would have been equally slim. At this point, Scheyer’s best way to stay on the NBA radar may be a year in the D-League, though it should surprise no one if he instead chooses to make some quick cash in Europe.
However, with most European teams settling into their rosters for the season to come, Scheyer may not get the kind of offers that would make a deal across the Atlantic a no-brainer. Regardless of where Scheyer ends up this season though, he’ll be around. We may not see him play in the States until next year’s summer league/training camp cycle, but he’s intriguing enough to warrant a camp invite and he’s secure enough in his position on the league’s cusp to pencil him in for a few return appearances.
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 31
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 14
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 27
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 15
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 23
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29
- Scout says Carmelo Anthony can be good triangle fit — if he moves the ball 20