Oct 8, 2010, 11:58 AM EDT
Parties with LeBron James seem to follow him around like remoras to a shark. They go on virtually everywhere he goes. In part because some of the people around LeBron make good money throwing these parties or letting LeBron’s name get used in promoting them.
LeBron was scheduled to be at a party Thursday night at The Midland, a theater in Kansas City, according to the Oklahoman. Kevin Durant got an invite but didn’t make it.
“I don’t go out to parties the day before a game,” Durant said. “I really don’t go out too much during the season.”
Some are going to try to say this is more of the “Durant good/LeBron bad” meme, but that’s not the truth here. For one, if James wants to go out for a night before a meaningless preseason game, that is not a big deal.
Durant and James are different people — James is more public, likes the scene more than Durant. Which is what it is. It only matters when it starts to impact work — does it bleed onto the court? The approach may be different but James on the court has not been a problem.
So James had a party in Kansas City and some people had some fun. I’m hard pressed to see the harm. Durant chose not to go. So what? Different people, different approaches. Both can work just fine.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 31
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 52