Oct 8, 2010, 11:58 AM EDT
Parties with LeBron James seem to follow him around like remoras to a shark. They go on virtually everywhere he goes. In part because some of the people around LeBron make good money throwing these parties or letting LeBron’s name get used in promoting them.
LeBron was scheduled to be at a party Thursday night at The Midland, a theater in Kansas City, according to the Oklahoman. Kevin Durant got an invite but didn’t make it.
“I don’t go out to parties the day before a game,” Durant said. “I really don’t go out too much during the season.”
Some are going to try to say this is more of the “Durant good/LeBron bad” meme, but that’s not the truth here. For one, if James wants to go out for a night before a meaningless preseason game, that is not a big deal.
Durant and James are different people — James is more public, likes the scene more than Durant. Which is what it is. It only matters when it starts to impact work — does it bleed onto the court? The approach may be different but James on the court has not been a problem.
So James had a party in Kansas City and some people had some fun. I’m hard pressed to see the harm. Durant chose not to go. So what? Different people, different approaches. Both can work just fine.
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 4
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 15
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 23
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29