Oct 8, 2010, 10:12 PM EDT
A few days into training camp, George Karl and Carmelo Anthony had a sit down that has been the focus of a lot of speculation. What exactly did Karl say.
He opened up about that a little more on 104.3 The Fan in Denver the other day (transcript by Sports Radio Interviews). Karl is a coach, he’s not a fan of the front office games that go on around the league. What he basically told Melo is that as long as you’re here, I need you really here.
The other thing is ‘Melo and I talked about if you were gonna be here I want to tell you what I was thinking about telling you. I told him that. I told him you gotta make a commitment to be a great player and make a commitment to make the next step to the next level. You still can make another step. The step I think that needs to be made is on the defensive end of the court and as a leader and a professional leader. Not a leader by voice, but by example and attitude. I said I was planning on having that talk with you, then you throw this in the mix. I’m still gonna have that talk with you….
I told ‘Melo this, I said ‘Melo then for the first time in five years or six years, we have some cap space and we have some flexibility. I don’t know what that means. I just want to coach basketball and don’t want to talk about 10 million dollar players and guys that we trade a bunch of bad contracts for a bunch of bad contracts to make a deal and stuff like that. That drives me crazy. That’s a bad part of our game to be honest with you. I just go out and coach the guys we have. The team I have now is going to win a bunch of basketball games. Now are we going to challenge for a championship and can we beat the Lakers? I’m not ready to go there yet, but I’m gonna tell you we’re not far from it.”
The Nuggets made it to the Western Conference finals two years ago, and that is the goal Karl has laid out for this team again. And it’s a reasonable one — if Anthony is in the fold.
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 0
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 13
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 16
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 6
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 17
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25