Oct 8, 2010, 8:30 AM EDT
Shareef Abdur-Rahim played for 13 teams (four franchises, but 13 teams) in his 12-year NBA career, and collectively those 13 teams averaged 28.5 wins. Few players have been so intimately acquainted with NBA failure, but now Abdur-Rahim has a chance to be a part of a promising basketball enterprise, albeit as a front office executive rather than a player or coach.
Since retiring from on-court action in 2008, Abdur-Rahim has served as an assistant coach for the last team that wrote him a paycheck to hoop: the Sacramento Kings. As of yesterday, Abdur-Rahim will no longer operate in that capacity, as the Kings have decided he may better serve the team from the front office. So may I introduce to you, the act you’ve known for all these years. This time, though, as assistant general manager. From the team’s press release (via Cowbell Kingdom):
“I’m thankful that the Maloof family and Geoff Petrie have the confidence in me to provide the opportunity to continue to be a part of the Kings’ organization,” said Abdur-Rahim. “My family and I love this area and are excited to be involved with this young and upcoming team.”
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 0
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 6
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 11
- Report: Clippers pull out of talks with Celtics 30
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (96)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'