Oct 8, 2010, 9:39 AM EST
Shaquille O’Neal has scored more points than any player ever born in New Jersey. There you go, a little trivia to start your morning.
And while some may think its death trap, a suicide rap, Shaq likes Jersey. Not enough to be on Jersey Shore… wait, we shouldn’t really put that past him.
But enough that he would like to see he Nets stay in Newark and become winners there, he said told the Bergen Record before the Celtics and Nets played Thursday night.
“I would have liked to see the new owner get with the guy who built the arena and keep the Nets there,” O’Neal said during an exclusive phone interview. “I don’t want to see the team go to Brooklyn. Maybe the two heads can get together, they can do that and I can come down there and become general manager.
“I think the owner, the beautiful Russian guy, should get with the people of the arena and the other people and me and we should get it done…
“We got a great owner, a great arena, let’s keep it where it’s at,” O’Neal said. “Not only that, I’m saving the owner money so he doesn’t have to pay another $300 million to build this new arena in Brooklyn. I know he has it. Hopefully he’ll stay and hopefully he’ll make me general manager because I will be available in 745 days.”
That would be right after he retires next season. And we’re sure Mikhail Prokhorov is in need of more guys telling him what to do with his money.
The Prudential Center is a state-of-the-art building (people in Sacramento just started instinctively drooling). It’s a good market. But sorry, Brooklyn is better and the arena will be newer and state-of-the-art for the next generation.
Sorry Shaq. For the Nets it’s no sleep ‘till Brooklyn.
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 0
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 10
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 16
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 49
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11