Oct 8, 2010, 9:39 AM EST
Shaquille O’Neal has scored more points than any player ever born in New Jersey. There you go, a little trivia to start your morning.
And while some may think its death trap, a suicide rap, Shaq likes Jersey. Not enough to be on Jersey Shore… wait, we shouldn’t really put that past him.
But enough that he would like to see he Nets stay in Newark and become winners there, he said told the Bergen Record before the Celtics and Nets played Thursday night.
“I would have liked to see the new owner get with the guy who built the arena and keep the Nets there,” O’Neal said during an exclusive phone interview. “I don’t want to see the team go to Brooklyn. Maybe the two heads can get together, they can do that and I can come down there and become general manager.
“I think the owner, the beautiful Russian guy, should get with the people of the arena and the other people and me and we should get it done…
“We got a great owner, a great arena, let’s keep it where it’s at,” O’Neal said. “Not only that, I’m saving the owner money so he doesn’t have to pay another $300 million to build this new arena in Brooklyn. I know he has it. Hopefully he’ll stay and hopefully he’ll make me general manager because I will be available in 745 days.”
That would be right after he retires next season. And we’re sure Mikhail Prokhorov is in need of more guys telling him what to do with his money.
The Prudential Center is a state-of-the-art building (people in Sacramento just started instinctively drooling). It’s a good market. But sorry, Brooklyn is better and the arena will be newer and state-of-the-art for the next generation.
Sorry Shaq. For the Nets it’s no sleep ‘till Brooklyn.
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 0
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 24
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 8
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 22
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)