Oct 8, 2010, 9:09 AM EST
It’s not about the starting line, it’s the finish line.
And in the NBA, the finish line is in June. That is where the Miami Heat want to be.
With that in mind, they are not rushing guys back now.
Dwyane Wade pulled his hamstring and as much as this preseason was about getting Wade and LeBron James used to each other on the court, Wade is not rushing back. He will not be having an MRI on his leg because it’s simply a hamstring pull — that requires rest and treatment.
Wade will be evaluated next week. He has said and it likely will be two weeks before he returns. Last season Pau Gasol was going through the same thing for the Lakers and rushed back the first time and re-aggravated it and spent a couple more weeks resting and recuperating. The Heat would like to avoid that scenario.
Eddie House — a gunner off the bench the Heat need — is still recovering from off-season shoulder surgery and it may be a couple more weeks before he is back, according to the Miami Herald. He is waiting for clearance from the doctors.
“Right now, I’m just buying time to get that clearance to go,” said House, who signed with the Heat as a free agent in July. “Maybe in a couple of weeks we will see it got stronger, see it’s on course to be healthy at that right time. It’s just a matter of do you want to force something in the preseason that sets you back again?”
That’s the Heat’s philosophy, too.
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 19
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 5
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8