Oct 8, 2010, 9:09 AM EDT
It’s not about the starting line, it’s the finish line.
And in the NBA, the finish line is in June. That is where the Miami Heat want to be.
With that in mind, they are not rushing guys back now.
Dwyane Wade pulled his hamstring and as much as this preseason was about getting Wade and LeBron James used to each other on the court, Wade is not rushing back. He will not be having an MRI on his leg because it’s simply a hamstring pull — that requires rest and treatment.
Wade will be evaluated next week. He has said and it likely will be two weeks before he returns. Last season Pau Gasol was going through the same thing for the Lakers and rushed back the first time and re-aggravated it and spent a couple more weeks resting and recuperating. The Heat would like to avoid that scenario.
Eddie House — a gunner off the bench the Heat need — is still recovering from off-season shoulder surgery and it may be a couple more weeks before he is back, according to the Miami Herald. He is waiting for clearance from the doctors.
“Right now, I’m just buying time to get that clearance to go,” said House, who signed with the Heat as a free agent in July. “Maybe in a couple of weeks we will see it got stronger, see it’s on course to be healthy at that right time. It’s just a matter of do you want to force something in the preseason that sets you back again?”
That’s the Heat’s philosophy, too.
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 7
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 22
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 23
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 6
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 20
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 26