Oct 8, 2010, 9:09 AM EDT
It’s not about the starting line, it’s the finish line.
And in the NBA, the finish line is in June. That is where the Miami Heat want to be.
With that in mind, they are not rushing guys back now.
Dwyane Wade pulled his hamstring and as much as this preseason was about getting Wade and LeBron James used to each other on the court, Wade is not rushing back. He will not be having an MRI on his leg because it’s simply a hamstring pull — that requires rest and treatment.
Wade will be evaluated next week. He has said and it likely will be two weeks before he returns. Last season Pau Gasol was going through the same thing for the Lakers and rushed back the first time and re-aggravated it and spent a couple more weeks resting and recuperating. The Heat would like to avoid that scenario.
Eddie House — a gunner off the bench the Heat need — is still recovering from off-season shoulder surgery and it may be a couple more weeks before he is back, according to the Miami Herald. He is waiting for clearance from the doctors.
“Right now, I’m just buying time to get that clearance to go,” said House, who signed with the Heat as a free agent in July. “Maybe in a couple of weeks we will see it got stronger, see it’s on course to be healthy at that right time. It’s just a matter of do you want to force something in the preseason that sets you back again?”
That’s the Heat’s philosophy, too.
- PBT Extra: Who wins Game 5 between Spurs, Clippers? Flip a coin. 0
- PBT Extra: Rockets must adjust to new Mavericks starting lineup in Game 5 0
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 5
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 14
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 11
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 6
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 40