Oct 7, 2010, 10:26 AM EDT
Grant Hill and Reggie Evans got ejected from a preseason game last night for patting each other on the butt. Seriously.
It may be the worst ejection we can remember in the NBA. Referee Bill Kennedy is in mid-season overreaction form.
It happened while the Raptors were blowing the Suns out of the building Wednesday night (don’t read anything into that, it’s preseason). Follow this link to DailyMotion to see the video, but here’s what happened.
The play before there had been a little standing next to each other and jawing between Suns and Raptors players, particularly Hill and Evan. Nothing too malicious but the refs gave both the “hey let’s calm down everybody” double technical. Nothing out of the ordinary.
Then when the ball comes in bounds it ends up with Hill in the mid-post defended by Evans, so Hill tries to go to the quick spin move around him. Hill is bumped and slips to the floor. Hill gets up and — as athletes in every sport do all the time — he patted Evans behind. Evans tapped him back harder, so Hill turned and gave Evans one more solid tap.
Technical. And an ejection by Kennedy. Evans and Hill walk off laughing, the crowd booing the ref first then cheering the two players.
The twitter timeline for NBA people at the game — such as Holly McKenzie — lit up with “are you kidding me” posts just like the announcer on the video did. With good reason. We’re in the preseason and we may already have the worst ejection of the season. Kennedy has a quick trigger, but this is really outdoing even himself.
- Report: Dwight Howard told Lakers GM he was frustrated with D’Antoni 0
- Durant, Thunder players tweet out support for Oklahoma City 4
- Brothers allege entourage of Damian Lillard beat them for taking his picture 17
- Amar’e Stoudemire still thinks Knicks’ front court trio can work 17
- Report: Dwight Howard not going to Clippers… did we need a report for that? 18
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (119)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (73)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- CBT: Ex-Rutgers coach Rice seeks Lucas' counsel
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay