Oct 7, 2010, 11:37 AM EST
Marcin Gortat is not just a big body in there to bang and grab rebounds and not screw up while Dwight Howard gets a blow for the Magic.
He wants you to know he can shoot — sure he only took one shot a game last season but he hit 53 percent of then. At the FIBA World Championships this summer playing for Poland “The Hammer” dropped 23 in one game, 29 in another and led the whole tournament in shooting percentage.
He wants the rock more in Orlando.
But “the man” is holding him down — and that man is all his teammates as well as turtleneckless Stan Van Gundy. That’s what Gortat essentially told the Orlando Sentinel.
“There are days when I’m about to explode and just say a couple of things or go to the coach and tell him what I want to do,” Gortat said. “I feel like I’m one of the guys who has to sacrifice a lot to adjust to this team. I can tell you that it’s not easy.”
The Orlando Magic, meanwhile, are not overly concerned about Gortat’s desire to play more offense. During the team’s 3 1/2- hour meeting last Monday, his teammates told him they wanted him to focus on his role of defending, rebounding and running the floor….
“A lot of players feel that they can do more than what everybody’s asking them to do,” Howard said. “But you’ve gotta know your role. Teams that win championships, everybody knows their role.”
So long as Gortat is defending and rebounding, he really should get some touches. He can score. That will never be his primary role on this team — nor should it be — but he can run the inside-out offense, too.
Just ask him.
- Report: At the moment, Lakers no longer considering trading Pau gasol 0
- PBT Extra: Damian Lillard or Kyrie Irving? Plus coaching hot seat talk. 6
- Report: Celtics may be frontrunners for Asik; would move Bass, Lee, pick 6
- Tyson Chandler returns to Knicks lineup Wednesday night 5
- Beasley out, LeBron game-time decision; Heat not worried about Pacers right now 16
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (105)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (49)
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns (48)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (48)