Oct 7, 2010, 11:37 AM EDT
Marcin Gortat is not just a big body in there to bang and grab rebounds and not screw up while Dwight Howard gets a blow for the Magic.
He wants you to know he can shoot — sure he only took one shot a game last season but he hit 53 percent of then. At the FIBA World Championships this summer playing for Poland “The Hammer” dropped 23 in one game, 29 in another and led the whole tournament in shooting percentage.
He wants the rock more in Orlando.
But “the man” is holding him down — and that man is all his teammates as well as turtleneckless Stan Van Gundy. That’s what Gortat essentially told the Orlando Sentinel.
“There are days when I’m about to explode and just say a couple of things or go to the coach and tell him what I want to do,” Gortat said. “I feel like I’m one of the guys who has to sacrifice a lot to adjust to this team. I can tell you that it’s not easy.”
The Orlando Magic, meanwhile, are not overly concerned about Gortat’s desire to play more offense. During the team’s 3 1/2- hour meeting last Monday, his teammates told him they wanted him to focus on his role of defending, rebounding and running the floor….
“A lot of players feel that they can do more than what everybody’s asking them to do,” Howard said. “But you’ve gotta know your role. Teams that win championships, everybody knows their role.”
So long as Gortat is defending and rebounding, he really should get some touches. He can score. That will never be his primary role on this team — nor should it be — but he can run the inside-out offense, too.
Just ask him.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 23
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49